Eighteen, B*tch

/ / E I G H T E E N , B I T C H / /

I'm sat at the edge of the tub; my leggings rolled up as high as they can while Jamie sits patiently between my legs, letting me wash the grease from his hair. It's a mechanism he's picked up when he's nervous – like, nail biting nervous. It doesn't happen often, this is only the fourth time he's begged me to scrub his scalp, but it must be awful if he's also picking at the skin surrounding his nails.

"Is it the twins?" I ask softly as I lather in a second helping of shampoo into his hair.

"Hmm?" He stares off at the tiled wall, not particularly paying attention to anything. "What?"

"Um," I tilt my head, "your mood, I mean, is it something one of them done?"

"No," He sighs out, plopping his hand into the water, sending droplets splattering. "No, it's not them. I just. I don't know, I'm a bit confused is all."

"Oh, can I help?"

He pats my ankle in the water, "This would be it, Marcy." I roll my eyes but let it drop. "What about you?" he asks suddenly, "How are you holding up? With Stefani and Natalie and stuff?"

"I like Stefani," I admit, "But George pulled me aside and told me not to get too fond of her, so I don't really know. I think I've been avoiding Natalie, I mean, I still text her and talk to her, but I've not gone to see her in a few days. She's...toxic, isn't she?"

"I think she's in love with you." Had I been drinking water, I'd have choked on it.

"Who's in love with my girl?" Matty mumbles, rubbing his face as he trudges into the bathroom. Nobody ever knocks anymore. He makes a face at us, "I have to pee." We turn our heads a bit and I rinse the suds from Jamie's hair.

"Natalie," Jamie answers, nonchalantly, as if my popstar boyfriend wasn't peeing three feet away from us while I'm scrubbing the hair of my naked best friend.

"Hmm," Matty hums, "Yeah, I suppose I see that. Guess it makes sense."

I roll my eyes, "If she loves me so much why'd she have sex with Brian?"

"Coping mechanism. She can't have you, so nobody can, or something like that." I take a hand full of water and splash it at Matty as he flushes the toilet. He curses and flips me off before turning on the faucet and rinsing my toothbrush. We should definitely get him his own; I doubt his using mine is very hygienic. "You've sucked my dick and I've licked your twát, Marcy, what the fuck do I care where your mouth's been," he had grumped obscenely at me one morning when I mentioned this. He leans against the sink now, facing us, "What exactly is going on here?" he gestures to Jamie and I, and it's not bitter or jealous; it's sleepy and confused.

We're all a bit unconventional here, but it's how we are. "Jamie's freaking out."

Matty nods his head, "Is this about -"

"Yes," Jamie cuts him off sharply and I frown.

"Wait, Matty knows what its about? And I don't?" I ask and I wonder if this has anything to do with the conversation they've had at the Halloween party.

"It's boy talk Marcy, don't be weird about it – I don't bitch when Anna knows something I don't." Jamie snaps. "Go a little to the right," he instructs when I condition a bit closer to the left.

"That's because I tell you everything," I point out.

"Even what we do in bed?" Matty asks, a far look in his eyes as he frowns slightly, toothbrush in mouth.

"Except that."

Jamie laughs, "No, I know about the daddy thing, freak."

"Marcy," Matty groans.