There's Something Different about your Mouth

/ / T H E R E ' S  S O M E T H I N G  D I F F E R E N T  A B O U T  Y O U R  M O U T H / /

"I don't understand why you just can't get over Brian," Jamie stuffs his hand in his pocket, leaning against a wall backstage, looking out onto the stage where The 1975 were performing. After vigorous rounds of Rock, Paper, Scissors (I lost count after the twenty fifth round) Jamie had won, claiming it was about time he had met the band, mostly George, but he said Matty for my sake. Anna had stormed off, but she had work anyway. If they had given me the choice, I would have taken Jamie for his reasonings exactly. And Matty was right when he said I was jealous, but I'll never admit that out loud. "I mean, you have this fit guy in a band almost fiending for your attention, but your still hung up over this asshole who ran off to the mountains when you called him out on his shit," Jamie continues.

"I hate when people tell me to 'get over him'," I admit quietly. The drummer, George, who Jamie has not taken his eyes off since we got backstage, is furiously drumming away, hitting cymbals and snares like nothing I've ever seen before. Its slightly erotic and it doesn't help that his shirt had gone off moments ago. I don't think Jamie can hear me over the immense rhythm that the other boys are playing off of. "I worked so hard to get him." I say, tearing my eyes away from the band and looking at Jamie.

He must sense I'm watching him now, because he turns to me, pushing off the wall and leaning a down a bit to hear me properly. I can smell his cologne and I want to ask him if he's that smitten over the drummer that he had to try to impress him, but I don't because he's looking at me like I'm a ten year old who had just admitted that their fear of monsters was just a cover up to stay in her parents' room over their real fear of being alone. "Marcy..."

"No," I mumble. He hadn't been up when I was yelling at Brian on the phone. Jamie was one to stay out of everyone's business, I'm not even sure he knew why my social circle suddenly went from a group of people to just him and Anna, but I've figured he never asked so he must have gotten the gist. He knew all the right things to say; he was a good listener and the most logical, despite his tendencies to wreak a bit of havoc now and then, but he never tried to push anyone into spilling their problems; it was just something that happened when one was around Jamie. "I put so much time and effort into this relationship, we're young, things will change, it's just a bit of a fight. When he comes back, everything will go back to normal and none of this will matter anymore." Deny, deny, deny — because I'm more scared of a pop star breaking my heart than anything Brian has already done.

"Babe," he says it with the utmost respect when he pulls me into a hug, "You're kind of delusional, living in denial and all. You're seventeen, you're gonna fall in and out of love so many times; don't limit yourself to one asshole." I roll my eyes but I know he's right. Still, Brian is familiar. Perusing Matty would not be the best idea in retrospect.

I tell myself this but I wonder why I'm standing backstage to a concert who's lead singer slept with me just two nights ago and I'm still completely crushing over.

A loud clearing of the throat pulls Jamie apart from me. We turn our head to find George, sweaty and body glistening, standing in front of us. He smiles and introduces himself, but Jamie cuts him off mid sentence, "I know. I'm your biggest fan, probably."

"Oh?" He says, only a bit taken aback and Jamie moves closer to me, placing his arm around my shoulder as he gives George enough space to get past us, seeing as we had been blocking the entrance earlier. "Always nice to meet a fan – I'd hug you but I'm sweaty as shit right now."

"I don't mind," Jamie mumbles, awe struck and I've never seen him lose his calm like this before. If George hears the sultry undertone, he just laughs it off and makes his way to a dressing room. The others follow, Adam and Ross, exchanging a quick hello and heading off to change most likely, seeing as they were all quite sweaty.