The Bleeding's Incidental

/ / T H E  B L E E D I N G ' S  I N C I D E N T A L / /

"I want my job back," Is what I say groggily into the phone the same time Jimmy says, "I saw you in the papers."

"What?" We both ask at the same time, and it might have been a little too loud because Matty, who's sleeping beside me, groans and mumbles incoherently before tossing an arm over my midsection and pulling me closer to him. I turn a bit, my back facing his chest and my hand more comfortable holding the phone to my ear.

"What do you mean you want your job back? I never took it away," Jimmy replies, tone a bit confused.

I'm more hushed now in my response, not wanting to jostle Matty – god only knows how much sleep he actually needs. "I heard...down the grapevine, that you gave my job to a certain Natalie?"

"Yeah, isn't she your friend? Well, no, I didn't give it to her, I just needed someone to do your job while you were out...you'll get it back as soon as you come, okay?"

I'm a bit relieved and of course it was far fetched to think he's replaced me, but Natalie is starting to bring out the worst in me and I haven't actually seen her since a few months ago. I don't bother telling my boss that she isn't my friend; not only am I sick of thinking back on what had happened, it also seemed as if I shouldn't explain it over the phone. "Okay," I respond.

"Stop flirting with me," Jimmy tells me and I chuckle because The Fault in Our Stars? Really?

"I didn't know you read that book – I didn't even know you read books in general," I admit.

I can almost hear him rolling his eyes, "I saw the movie. Anyways. Marceline Devine, it is almost half past six in the morning, I am about to do the show, and I'm going through notes, as per usual, right?"

"Okay..." I wait for him to elaborate.

"So," he huffs, "I pull up the news, google up the festival because, you know, I like to keep tabs on that stuff, plus I needed to know if it was benign and no overdoses on Molly or Percs or what have you has happened this year – I need to make sure you were safe. Are you following this?"

"Um," I shift a bit, Matty's breath is leaving hot spots against my neck, tickling my skin until there's goosebumps rising, "yes? Um, thank you?"

"Well see, the most trending topic is you. Well Matty Healy –Matty Healy and mystery girl – Matty Healy and you. And I'm all, 'no, this can't be my sweet, innocent, pure, seventeen year old Marcy Devine shacking it up with not so sweet, but gentlemanly; I'll give him that — not very innocent, doubtfully very pure, twenty five year old Matty Healy – who, which by the way this is in the related articles, got snarky, immodest, diva, twenty three year old Scandinavian model Stefani Klingenberg pregnant. Except there were pictures and you were looking too comfortable. Do you have something to say?"

I swallow, my stomach churning, if this is Jimmy's reaction, I don't think I could handle both of my parents' reactions, "That was a lot of words," I mumble, sinking further into the sheets, pressing closer to Matty.

"Marcy," he warns.

"We're just friends," I try to insist.

I can hear his scoff, "Those pictures looked more than a little friendly."

"I...it's not, Jimmy, I..."

He sighs; I think the utter fear in my voice is enough to let him come off a bit. If its one thing I hate more than germs, it's people being mad at me. "Marcy, breathe, child, breathe. I'm sorry, it's just, I don't want you getting hurt, he's gotten someone pregnant, I can't let you just fall into something like that...how long has this been going on? I guess that would explain how coy he was acting and how weird you were acting the day at the studio..."