It Takes A Bit More

/ / I T  T A K E S  A  B I T  M O R E / /

A string of curses leave my mouth the moment I spot him. This is insane and beyond coincidence anymore. He doesn't spot me yet, the glass barrier between us doesn't really save me though. Adam sees me. He raises his eyebrow and I make a motion for him not to say anything before I duck down to hide behind the opaque portion of the wall.

"Bit like déjà vu," Anna says as she slides in and sits next to me. We both are clearly supposed to be doing some type of work, either fixing up some records or dusting some photo frames or helping Jimmy DJ or something, but here we are, hiding from Matty Healy (and Adam Hann) once again.

"Yea," I mumble, "except I knew nothing about him last time he was in the studio."

"Now you know how big his – "

"Anna!" I say a bit too loudly when I slap her hands. She chuckles and leans back against the wall. She's on some Rihanna level with her outfit, high waisted shorts, see through crop top and some Jordan's. Her long hair tumbles over her shoulders, obscuring the view of her chest. "Are you wearing a bra?"

She rolls her eyes, "when do I ever?" I shrug. She gazes over my outfit, nearly similar to hers, except I do have on a bra, I'm wearing a high waisted skirt and some heels. My outfit might be on point but I'm sure my face looks like I've been through war, bags under my eyes large enough to carry books. It was hard to fall asleep last night after Matty's last few texts. Anna nods her head approvingly at my clothes, opening her mouth to say something, but its cut off.

"What are you staring at, Hann?" It's Matty who speaks and I cringe.

It's my boss, Jimmy, who answers, "Probably one of the kids, were they making faces at you?" Jimmy calls us the kids, mostly because we're all under the age of twenty one and sometimes we do act childish. My heart stammers and my stomach tightens. I grab Anna's hands and pray that Jimmy doesn't call us in for anything.

"You let kids here?" Adam asks before saying, "No, I thought I recognized...this girl with green eyes and a wicked smile." He laughs at his own joke and Matty complains.

Jimmy is oblivious to what they're talking about, "Marcy is the only one I can think of with green eyes – oh maybe you met her yesterday, I think her and Jamie were at your concert last night." Matty must have been drinking something because he's suddenly spluttering and coughing and Adam is laughing like it's the funniest thing in the world. Jimmy laughs too, mostly out of informality, feeling odd that he doesn't get their jokes and he calls out my name and I'm shrinking down, "Can we get some napkins and some water, love?"

"You go," I shove at Anna, "Tell them I've died."

She scrunches her nose, "When do I ever do work willingly?"

"If you had a dick, I'd suck it," I amend.

She lets out a whistle, "You're all sorts of slutty this week, huh?" and I shrug because there's no point of denying it. She gets up, straightening her shirt and her shorts and fixing her hair, grabbing a roll of paper towels on the table in front of us and a bottle of water before walking to the door and entering the studio where the interview was being held.

"You're not Marcy," Jimmy jokes, but says thank you anyway.

"Marcy died," she says dutifully. "Are you alright?" she asks Matty, most likely. If he remembers her as being my leggy friend, then he doesn't say anything.

"Yeah," he says after a bit spluttering, "just went down the wrong way, love, no worries."

"Marcy died?" Jimmy asks.

"Ah, yes...she overdosed on...um, Redbull."

"Redbull," Jimmy asks as if Anna was his kid and he was playing along to what ever story she was making up...it wasn't far from the truth. "Why was she drinking Redbull? She's already hyper as it is." and I can feel Anna crack under his inquisition.