I Like it When you Stroke me

/ / I L I K E I T W H E N Y O U S T R O K E M E / /

"...She likes to take LSD, searching mathematical purity, travel with security..." I mumble under my breath, bouncing Baby Ari on my arms lightly as I pull my keys from her baby bag. The lyrics soften to a hum when I can't remember the next set of words, opening the door as my sister plays curiously with my nose. I press my hip into the door, pushing it open as she tries to fit her cute little fingers into my mouth.

I make a humming noise somewhere between a growl and a giggle as I pretend to munch on her hands, making sure my lips are covering my teeth as she squeals giddily. Daddy and Papa had important things to attend to, apparently, but I digress, I'm sure they're just spending quality time together and by quality I mean -

"Marceline!" I'm startled by a voice I hadn't been expecting to hear, one I haven't properly heard in about three weeks if I'm honest, not since the festival, and still surprising to me, he remembers my name.

"George?" I say slightly taken aback, especially when Anna appears from the kitchen – fully dressed with an apron on and a plate of cookies, held out to George.

"Cute kid," he says between mouthfuls as I shut the door behind me. "Did something different with your hair?"

"Thanks," I say, still very much confused. "I cut it...and bleached it – not that I'm not happy to see you, but... why are you here?"

"That's a good question," he says standing up and I look to Anna.

She shrugs, "They just showed up."

"They?" I ask as I'm suddenly engulfed by George's large frame and well, he smells really good. Something musky and slightly minty, but also like fresh baked cookies and I was not expecting that.

"Matty's in the purple room," he says, "What's her name?" he pinches my sister's cheek lightly and she squeals happily, clapping her hands when he makes a face at her.

"Arabella. Ari. Ella." I list off a few names, still in a daze, because Matty Healy was in my room. I hardly notice when she reaches for him, and well, to my surprise, he takes her with ease. I had never thought about George in a domestic way before, I didn't even think he liked children, but he seems to be endeared with Ari and she seems enamored with him. It's really cute and I want to take a picture of the moment. Anna must be thinking the same thing, because there's a flash for a moment and slight coo from my roommate.

"Hi cutie," he grins, raising her like Simba in the air and she's having a complete blast. I'm still only slightly stunned but I don't move until Anna shoves me slightly.

For a moment I think she's offering me a cookie, and I take one with a grateful smile. She rolls her eyes and sighs. And then I get it. "I'm gonna go..." I gesture with my thumb to my bedroom, walking backwards slightly.

"We've got her don't worry, Mars-bars," George coos in a baby-like voice and it's the oddest thing I've ever witnessed.

"Mars-bars?" I mouth to myself as I make my way to the hallway leading to my room. I toe off my sneakers as I go, opening the slightly ajar door to my room, quietly walking to my bed where there's...Matty and...Jamie, sharing the bed. I say sharing lightly because Matty is stagnant on one side of the bed and Jamie is sprawled, an arm a leg thrown over my boyfriend and simultaneously taking up most of my bed.

I should probably not be surprised, Jamie hasn't slept at his own home for weeks now, and I idly wonder if Drew even remembers him. Half of his clothes are in Anna and mine's room and we'd probably complain, but he drives us to work and sometimes he makes dinner for us.

I bite my lips to hide a smile when Jamie turns, shifting and moving until he's practically spooning Matty. I tip toe towards Matty's side of the bed, kneeling down until I'm level with his face. I reach a finger to touch at the dark stubble that has grown, thumbing over dark circles under his eyes and I miss him. Three weeks were long to me, video calls and text messages can only make up for so much - and then reception hadn't been that great for a bit and I was beginning to wonder if I was really ready to date someone who was hardly around.