𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒐𝒏𝒆𝒔 𝒘𝒉𝒐 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒚 𝒂𝒏𝒚𝒘𝒂𝒚 (𝒋.𝒎)

-

They always said that life comes in stages of bad, or at least that's what I grew up believing. I never understood that, if bad things were going to happen why couldn't they just happen in one big blow. I wished that was how it was. But, that isn't how it works. Not for me anyway.

Most kids don't grow up asking themselves the same question everyday, from the time they wake up from the time they go to bed. From the time they're six to the time they're forty-five. I grew up believing that you stay for the ones you love, always. Even when you feel like leaving, you stay because love is the greatest thing of all. I was taught that from a very young age, by my mother. My dad left when I was little, me and my mom. At that time I was about four, and my mom was still pregnant with the twins. I'm sixteen now, and he still hasn't come back, the twins are twelve and he still hasn't come back for them. My mom works two jobs to pay the bills, and I work a job to help with anything that I can. Together we raise my little brother, Y/B/N and my little sister, Y/S/N.

We grew up without a daddy to hold us when we got scared, we grew up without a daddy to show us how to be people, to fix cars and how to hunt. My sister and I grew up without a father to get protective about boys, or a daddy to take us to the father daughter dances. My brother didn't grow up with a daddy to show him what it means to be a real man in this world. My mom taught us these life lessons, she stayed and she cares. But, everyday I wake up and ask myself: Why'd you go? What did I do? Will you ever come back? And everyday I hold on to the same anger from yesterday.

So yes, I learned from a young age to stay for the ones you love. Even when you want to leave, you stay.

-

" Y/N? Y/N/N!" Kie practically yells. " Are you even listening?"

" Yup, yup!" I say, turning my head to my curly haired best friend and her rant about microplastics.

The loud party music blaring out around the boneyard. The string lights hung up on poles that Kiara and I had set up glimmered in the moonlight against the ocean waves. The countless beach bonfires burning into the air, Pogue's around them having fun. Drinking, dancing, singing, laughing.

Did I really care about how microplastics were invading a little island somewhere? No, not at all. Did Kiara know this? Yes. Did she care? No. I always pretended to listen as did the rest of us, she was something else. She was passionate about the environment, which is something I admire and am passionate about most of the time. But that passion from her is also something I hate.

" What, you think staring at him is gonna make him come over here?" Pope asks from next to me, slinging his arm around my shoulders. Pope was the brains of all the operations. He was gentle and caring, and reserved, the smart one. Although he's quiet, the Pope I know and love has a wild side.