Chapter 7

"Luna Odessa Ludwig!" My mother's shrill voice screeched the second I stepped through my front door. I inwardly groaned. Seems like my mother has decided to act like one today. 

She stormed into the front room from the kitchen.

"How dare you!" She continued to yell. "Releasing wild animals inside the school. Someone got bitten! You are so lucky that child didn't want to press charges!"

I scoffed. My mother is the only person who would call Tate Marks a child.

"Don't you scoff at me. I know that you have no respect for me or my authority, but that will change, young lady!" She started to get up in my face. 

"Back up." I snapped. She clenched her jaw, but took a few steps backwards. "First off, it was ducks, not a freaking tiger. Secondly, I would have more respect for you and your nonexistent authority if you were a real mother! You are the adult here. I have no respect for you because you weren't there for me! When Dad left you only cared about yourself. If you think that you can choose when to be my mother, fine, but then I get to choose when I'm your daughter, and right now, I'm an orphan." I slipped past her and stormed up the stairs. 

Was I just using her four month drinking binge as an excuse? Yes, but it's only fair. I took care of myself and her for four months straight while also dealing with my own problems. The only perk is being able to shove it in her face every and any time I can. 

I know that I'm supposed to respect my mother, but how can I when she gives me nothing to respect? 

I fumed for another hour before I let it go. Maybe I was a little harsh, not that I would admit it to her. 

I snuck downstairs to grab myself dinner. I put a TV dinner into the microwave and peeked into the livingroom. The television's glow was lighting up the room. My mother was draped across the couch with a glass of wine in her hand. The bottle sat on the coffee table, half empty. 

I took a deep breath. She can tell me that she's changed all she wants, but actions speak louder than words. 

*

My three day suspension actually served as a well needed break. My mother snuck in my room and took my phone. I assume that it's supposed to be my punishment, but honestly I was okay with it. 

I had three full days where I was cut off from the outside world. I read a book, slept until noon, and watched Netflix.

As Marie pulled into my drive way, I felt refreshed. 

"Hey Mimi." I gave her a small smile. I'm not much of a beaming kind of person. 

"Hiya, Lulu. How did your mom handle the whole suspension thing? By the way, sorry about not coming forward and saying that I was in it too. I was going to, but what's the point on both of us getting in trouble." She started the car and started our drive to school.

"It's fine. As for my mother," I spat the word. "She's such a joke. I think that she's afraid of me. She had to sneak in my room when I was sleeping to take my phone from me. Then, she wonders why I have no respect for her. Finding your mother passed out drunk does that to a person." I ranted. 

"I thought that she was acting semi-normal again." Marie interrupted. 

"She had a glass of wine in her hand last night." 

Marie shrugged. "I've had a glass of wine too. That doesn't mean that I'm an alcoholic."

I didn't answer. She wouldn't understand. 

After a full minute of silence, I broke it. "What's been happening at school?"  

Honestly, I didn't care, but I hate awkward silences.