Chapter 8

When the doorbell rang, I sighed.

Marie usually doesn't show up unannounced. Unless it is the pizza delivery guy, no one visits my mother. I reluctantly got out of bed and made my way downstairs.

I opened the door.

A man stood on my front steps. His teeth were unnaturally white. Like Ross from Friends, I'm sure that if he was in a dark room, his teeth would glow. He was wearing a simple suit and his hair was slicked back like a used car salesman.

"Can I help you?" I asked him awkwardly. 

"Hello sweetheart." He smiled brightly at me. "Is your mother home?" 

I looked at him disgusted. "First off, don't call me sweetheart. You don't know me. Secondly, of course my mother is home. She never leaves the house." 

"Luna!" I heard an obviously fake voice from behind me. "This is the guy I was telling you about last week." 

"I have no idea what you are talking about." I said honestly.

"I told you," She said with a fake smile that could rip her face in half, "that I was talking to a guy at work while we were eating dinner."

I thought back. I vaguely remember something like that, but I'm still kind of mad at her. "Doesn't ring a bell." I shrugged. 

"It's fine, Cindy." The man said. Is it just me or is it really weird when you hear someone call your parents by their first name. It just sounds unnatural. 

"Well Norman, this is my daughter, Luna. Luna, this is Norman." She introduced us. 

I want no part in this. If she wants to move on and start dating again, I don't care. Just as long as she keeps me out of it. "Can I go back to my room now?" 

My mother clicked her tongue. "I was thinking that we could all have dinner together." I could tell by the tone of her voice that it was an order.

"I actually ate already." I shot back. 

"Well, you are looking a little skinny. Another meal won't hurt." Her eyes narrowed at me and I sighed in defeat.

My mother lead Norman into the dinning room and I trailed behind them. I subtly poked my stomach. I am not too skinny.

"Have a seat, Norman dear." She led him to the head of the table. He sat in the exact spot as my Dad did. I frowned. 

She walked off into the kitchen. 

The doorbell rang again. 

"Luna, could you get that?" My mother yelled.

I rolled my eyes, but stood up from my chair without argument. 

I opened the door and was shocked to see Josh. 

"Hey." I dragged the word out. 

"You forgot, didn't you?" My red haired friend smirked, amused. 

"Of course not!" I exclaimed. "I would never forget such an occasion." 

"The project, Luna." Josh clarified. "You forgot to give me your address, so I got it from Marie." 

"Who's at the door?" My mother walked into the foyer and stopped in her tracks. "A boy."

I almost face palmed. "Yes, mother. This is what a teenager of the opposite gender looks like." 

"Um, Hi Mrs. Ludwig." Josh waved awkwardly. 

"It's Miss." I corrected him. 

"You can call me Cindy." She pushed past me and shook his hand, back in her loving mother role.