Chapter 11

Tate was waiting for me outside of my classroom. I ignored him and aimlessly walked ahead.

Even if it was true and Jackson, Tate, Josh, and Conner are in a gang, that doesn't explain why they have been following me since lunch.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that they are doing this because of Sal's arrival. Was Sal in a gang to? If so, was it a rival? Are the boys the only ones in this supposed gang?

I felt a headache starting to come on and I groaned aloud.

"You shouldn't be making noises like that in a hallway full of horny teenage boys." A deep voice from behind me. I jumped slightly and put my hand on my chest as if it would help slow down my heart.

Tate gave me a look I couldn't quite understand.

"I couldn't care less about their perverse thoughts. If I screen everything I say and do to see if it could be taken the wrong way, I wouldn't have time to say or do anything." I shrugged.

"You sound prudish."

I clicked my tongue, annoyed. "How is it prudish not to care what people think?"

I don't know how, but Tate always knows just what to say to get a rise out of me.

"Just the way you worded it. Who, under the age of 40, says the word 'perverse'?" Tate scoffed.

"Is 'perverse' too big of a word for you?" I narrowed my eyes at him and picked up my speed. Naturally, he was able to keep up without even trying. "I am not prudish, for your information, Wall-e!"

Tate grabbed my arm bringing me to a unexpected stop. I stumbled towards him. Instead of pushing me away, like I expected him to do, Tate just wrapped his arms around me and pulled me up slightly.

"If you're not prudish, prove it." He whispered, his hot breath fanning my face.

I bit my lip. This is so not a good idea. Without any further thought, I pressed my lips to his. Tate's eyes widened slightly, but after only hesitating for a second, he kissed me back.

Tate kisses like it's his last. His lips pressed hard against mine and his arms tightening even more around me. It would be so easy to just get lost in the passionate kiss, but this is Tate we're talking about.

Mean, annoying, insensitive Tate Marks.

I pulled back first. "How's that for prudish?" I smirked at him.

His arms loosened around me and I stepped away.

As I walked down the hall to my next class, I knew that Tate still trailed behind me. I could feel his eyes staring at me.

I've kissed a few guys, but Tate was definitely the best, not that I will ever tell him that. If he can put so much passion into a meaningless kiss, imagine how much better it would be if he actually cared about anyone but himself.

Not that I would want him to care about me. That would just be weird.
Even so, when I walked through the door to my next class, my lips were still tingling.

*

Marie left school shortly after lunch for a dentist appointment, so at the end of the day, it was just the guys and me.

We all walked over to our usual table in the park. It sounds lame, I know, but no one every comes to the park anymore and it's just a quiet place to sit around and do nothing.

But today, we weren't going to talk about stupid nonsense.

Sal's words have been eating at me all day. If the guys just laugh it off, I'm going to be embarrassed, but I have to ask.