Chapter 14

Things turned into a routine.

Marie would pick me up for school and meet the guys at the front door. I tried to get her to stop clinging to them so much, but to no avail. I usually leave Marie with the guys and go straight to my locker.

I got used to being followed. I hardly even notice it anymore. I debated on telling someone about the gang just so that they stop stalking me, but I decided against it. Marie considers them her best friends. If I get them in trouble, there is a chance that she will get mad at me. I don't have a lot of friends. In fact, I only have one. If Marie abandoned me just like my father and Jackson did four years ago, I don't know what I'd do. I'd be totally alone.

So, I just have to deal with having gang members tail me all the time.

Hopefully, when the grow half a brain, they'll realize that I'm not going to tell anyone about their gang and that Sal is not a danger to me. He hasn't even talked to me in months.

The slamming of a locker snapped me out of my daydream.

The late bell rang and I sighed.

I clutched my books closer to my chest and started walking down the hall to class.

I rounded the corner and froze when I saw the familiar, now faded, turquoise hair leaning over an awkwardly thin boy with glasses that were way too big for his face.

"Did you finish my homework?" She asked him, narrowing her eyes.

"N-No." He stuttered. "My mom is sick. She's in the hospital and-"

"What does this have to do with Chemistry?" Marie grabbed his shirt in her fist.

Who is this person?

I somehow got my legs to finally move. I approached them, quickly.

"What are you doing?" I asked my best friend.

Marie's head snapped towards me. She let go of the poor freshman and he scurried away.

"Hey, Lulu." She said casually.

"Don't be a bully and do your own homework." I told her. I was truly horrified at the way that she treated the kid.

Marie looked me in the eye. She held my gaze for a few seconds. When I didn't look away, she did something very usual.

She bursted into tears.

She leaned her back against the wall and slid to the ground.

"Um, are you okay?" I asked her hesitantly.

"He doesn't love me!" She howled.

It is no secret that Marie has been pursuing Jackson since the day he got back. It also isn't a secret that Jackson doesn't want anything more than friendship. At least it wasn't a secret to anyone, but Marie. She never seemed to get the hint.

"Just because you like him, doesn't mean that he's obligated to like you back. If he doesn't want you as much as you want him, then he doesn't deserve you. He's just not right for you." I told her. To be honest, it is a huge relief that Jackson does not like Marie romantically. There is more of a chance that she could get dragged into his gang business if they dated.

"Oh, shut up." She yelled loudly into the mostly deserted hallway. "You're supposed to tell me that he'll realize it in time and that I just have to work harder."

What kind of advice would that be?

"Well, bullying nerdy kids won't help your cause. Jackson was once a nerd too." Jackson will never date her. Aggressive just isn't his type. However, if giving her a little hope will stop her from messing with some of the younger students, then why not?