Chapter 12

When I walked inside, Norman Bates was lying across my couch. His car salesman styled suit jacket was no where in sight. His sleeves were rolled up and he was eating honey barbecue chips. My honey barbecue chips.

"What the hell? Where's my mom?" I looked at him disgusted. His greasy hair is probably going to stain the couch.

"She ran out to the store to buy me some beer. Do you want anything? She might still be at the store if you text her." He said casually and picked the remote up and started flicking through channels.

After the long miserable day I've had, I'm so not in the mood.
I stormed up to him and snatched the remote out of his hands. "This is my remote. That is my television. Your ass is on my couch in my living room eating my chips."

"Calm down, Leah." Norman put his hands up as if he was calming a rearing horse down.

I clenched my jaw. "It's Luna. Get out of my house." I snapped and pointed towards the door. Dramatic? Maybe a little.

"This is your mother's house. Not yours, young lady. I'm your mother's guest and I'll leave when she tells me to. I'm likely to be your step-daddy sometime in the future and you will respect me." He glared at me. I wonder if my mother has seen this side of him. I wonder if she'd even care if she saw him talking to me like this.

"I'm calling the police." I pulled my cellphone out of my back pocket and dialed 9-1-1.

Norman's face went slightly pale, but he still didn't get off of the couch.

"9-1-1, What's your emergency?"

"There's a man in my house who refuses to leave." I told the operator. I don't believe that Norman thought that I was actually on the phone with the police.

"Do you know the man?"

"Yes, he's a friend of my mother's, but she's not home and I don't think she knows that he's here." So, I stretched the truth a little bit. Sue me.

"Who is this and how old are you?"

"My name is Luna Ludwig. I'm eighteen."

She asked if I wanted the police to remove Norman from the property. I told her yes and gave her my address. I wasn't allowed to hang up until they got here.

"You aren't seriously on the phone with the police, right?" Norman looked a little nervous.

He's not very smart. "I asked you to leave and you refused. You're trespassing."

I heard the sirens approach the house and Norman's eyes widened. "Your mother is going to be furious with you."

I ignored him and opened the front door. Two uniformed police officers were just walking up the front steps. One was kind of attractive in an older guy kind of way. The other was younger. He looked fresh out of the academy. His uniform looked like he ironed it and he looked way too energetic for four o'clock in the afternoon.

"The police are here." I told the 9-1-1 operator and hung up.

"Are you the owner of this house?" The older one asked me.

"My mother and I rent the house." I told him. "My mother isn't home and for some reason there is a man on my couch that won't leave."

I stepped back and let the officers inside. I lead them into the living room.

Norman froze.

"Sir, who are you and do you have authorization to be here?" The younger one asked. I could tell that he thought he was badass.