Epilogue: That Part in the Middle

Luna's POV

I was surprised that Tate was that blunt, confessing his feelings as if it was no big deal.

I was even more surprised at the butterflies that swarmed in my stomach as I comprehended what he was saying.

I thought I was angry about Marissa for Rhydian's sake, but maybe I was a bit jealous.

I pushed those forbidden thoughts aside. Things have not changed since high school. He is still in a gang. Hell, our situation has actually gotten worse because Tate is now their leader.

"I am going to see how Rhydian is doing." I stood up.

"Wait," he grabbed my wrist. I ignored the warm tingling feeling I got where our skin connected. "You know Marie had a mental breakdown. You have to stay here where I can protect you and our son." He pleaded.

I have to admit that I am much less irritated at his mere presence as I was when I thought he was bringing girls around Rhydian.

"We'll stay one night, Tate, but if she's not in custody by tomorrow morning, we'll have to make other arrangements." I compromised.

Tate frowned, obviously not thrilled with my decision, but he nodded anyway.

Rhydian came running back in the room. "We're gonna be late for soccer!" He shouted in horror.

"Whoa, slow down there Speedy." I reached for him and sat him on my hip. "We can't go today."

"Why not?" He pouted.

I thought about what to say. Should I tell him it was dangerous? Should I lie and said his game was cancelled?

Tate saved me from having to answer. "Because we're having a super fun day of awesomeness!"

Rhydian grew quiet as he thought it over. Slowly, he nodded. "Okay, I guess."

"How about we have your soccer game here?" Tate asked, trying to be the good guy, as usual.

Rhydian giggled. "We can't play inside!"

"I don't think that's a good idea." I butted in, looking at all the expensive breakable things in his apartment.

"Don't be a spoilsport Mommy." Tate teased.

I sighed, a bit annoyed. This is how it always is when it comes to co-parenting with him. He gets to be the fun one, while I have to be the one to set boundaries and rules.

Tate saw my unamused face. "Rhydian, why don't you be on Mommy's team and I'll be on my own team?"

My face softened at his attempt to include me.

"I'm gonna go get my ball!" Rhydian smiled and ran off to his bedroom.

Tate started moving furniture out of the way.

"Something is going to get broken." I commented.

He glanced at me before focusing back on his task. "Then help me put stuff away. He's only going to be young for so long, Luna. Soon enough he'll be a moody teenager who wants nothing to do with either of us. He still want to hang out with us. I say we enjoy it while we can."

I was surprised at how insightful Tate has become. "When did you get wise?" I pulled a glass cat statue off of the coffee table.

"I grew up, I guess." He shrugged.

Together, we made the living room into a mini soccer field. Tate put electrical tape on the floor to represent where the goals were.

Rhydian came back into the room with tears streaking his face. "I can't find my ball. I ruined super fun day of awesomeness."