Chapter 20

School felt pointless. I wasn't focused enough to get decent grades. I feel like I'm on autopilot throughout my classes, and Marie is still ignoring me. Once Tate realized I had been taking the bus, he started to drive me to school. 

He's been the only good thing that's come out of the last week. 

Tate and I are so different. He's violent and blunt. He wouldn't hesitate to put a bullet in someone's skull. That's a horrifying thought.

But there's a part of me that is a little thrilled when he says that he'd kill for me.

The world is a dangerous place. His lifestyle revolves around the kill or be killed philosophy. Our new friendship is strange, but just what I need right now. 

"How come we never hang out at your guys' house?" I asked Tate during homeroom. 

"That would be a bad idea." He answered right away. "We don't own our house, our family does. If you're seen going entering or leaving, people would ask questions. If they find out about your father, you're dead." 

"Oh." Fair enough. "That sucks. I wanted to see what all of your rooms looked like. They wouldn't think that one of you were just bringing me back to your house to get laid or something?"

Tate rolled his eyes. "I'm not going to risk your life so you can see how I decorate my room."

"Well, when you put it like that..." 

"How are things going with your mom?" He asked.

I sighed. I was able to get the money back and I had decided to press charges as we had a legal contract that forbade her from taking my money without written consent. It was one of the hardest decisions that I've ever had to make, but I couldn't let this go. I kicked her out of the house as well and finally paid the landlord. "I haven't talked to her since she got out on bail."

"I know this is hard for you, Luna. Trust me, I know how it feels to have your parents let you down, but you do not have to be a product of your environment. You don't need her." That was the nicest thing Tate has ever said to me. 

"I know. I'm an only child. My family has always been my parents, Marie, Jackson, and me. Both my parents are gone. Marie is ignoring me and things with Jackson will never be the same a they were when we were kids. I'm only 18 and I'm all alone." A single tear slid down my face. "I don't know why I'm venting to you. You don't really care."

Tate grabbed my hand and stood up. "C'mon. We're leaving."

The old Luna would never skip any class nevertheless just stand up and walk out the door when the teacher is doing role call. 

But I am not the old Luna. 

Things are different now, more complicated. 

So, when Tate lead me out the door, I followed without hesitation even when the teacher called us back. 

***

Tate drove us in silence. 

I had no idea where we were going and I didn't care. He probably missed the drunk, fun Luna that would be all smiles and giggles. Now he was stuck with depressed, negative Luna. 

We were on the road for over an hour before he spoke. "You're not alone. You have me and the guys."

"For how long? You are all going home at the end of the year. Even if I wanted to go with you guys after high school, your gang would kill me because of my father!" This time, there were no waterworks, just acceptance of the way things would be. 

Tate didn't say anything for minute. "You need to have some fun."

"And broody Tate can show me how to have fun?" I shot back.