Epilogue: The Beginning of the End

Tate's POV

Five years Later

"Daddy!" My four year old monster jumped on my back.

"Rhydian, if you don't get off my back, I will throw you across the room." I growled, burying my head into my pillow as if that would help me get back to sleep.

I heard a soft whimper and instantly felt guilty.

I sat up and put him on my lap. "I'm sorry, Ry. Daddy is just a little cranky." I rubbed his back, soothingly.

"Mommy is right. You are cruel." He pouted.

I clenched my jaw.

She is a good mother, but she shouldn't have said anything negative about me to Rhydian. It just wasn't right.

Luna never agreed to marry me. It did not matter how many doctors' appointments that I went to or how much money I spent to provide for our son. She just could not see past my lifestyle. I grew up in a broken home and I really do not want that for Rhydian, but I cannot force her to love me, even if I am still in love with her.

I love Rhydian and I don't regret a single thing, but I never imagined that I would be a single father, doing his best to raise his son only every other weekend and a few weeks in the summer.

"Ry, Mommy didn't say that I was cruel, she said that I rule." I tickled his stomach and he laughed.

"Oh!" He nodded. "That makes much more sense!"

My cellphone rang and I glanced at the caller ID. Josh.

"Go in the kitchen and pick out what cereal you want. I'll follow you in a minute." I lifted him up and placed him on the floor.

"Okay." He ran out of the room, mumbling to himself about Coco Puffs.

I answered the phone right before it went to voice mail. "Tate." The tone of my voice was very different from when I was talking to Rhydian. My voice was cold, hard, and unfeeling.

"Hey, boss. We have a problem." Josh was promoted to the second in the gang, while I was given the leader title.

"What is it? You know that it is my weekend with Rhydian."

"There was a jail break about an hour ago." Josh told me.

"Find out who is out. If it's any of ours, arrange for them to be picked up. Next time you want to call me when my son is here, make sure that it is important."

I was about to hang up, but Josh rushed on. "It wasn't a mass breakout, boss. So far, the only person that they know escaped is Marie Fitzgerald."

I clenched my jaw. "Take care of it. I'll be in touch." I hung up the phone and threw it on my bed.

The police picked up Marie a few weeks after graduation. She had a mental break and was surrounded by papers with incoherent words on them. The only thing that the police were able to read was 'Lulu' and 'kill'. She spent three years in a psych ward before being transferred to jail when she miraculously recovered.

Needless to say, it is a problem if she's running around again.

I heard a crash in the other room. I grabbed my gun from my nightstand and quickly rushed into the other room.

"Oops." Rhydian mumbled staring at shattered bowl on the floor. I put the safety back on my gun and tucked it into the back of my pants.

"Stay right there." I reached over the glass and grabbed Rhydian. I picked him up and carried him away from the mess. I tossed him onto the couch and he giggled.