Epilogue: And They Lived Happily Ever After?

"What's next in our super fun day of awesomeness?" Rhydian asked, jumping up and down.

"I think we should have a movie night." I butted in

"That's just a regular fun day. This is a super fun day of awesomeness." Tate winked at me.

I couldn't help but smile. "Well, you did not let me finish. Movie night in a fort!"

Rhydian cheered.

"Wow, who knew Mommy can be fun." Tate joked.

"I can be fun!" I protested. "You have no idea just how fun a can be!"

His eyes darkened. "You'll have to show me then sometime."

I could feel my face burning.

"I'll get the sleepy bags, and blankets, and pillows, and cushions, and we should all get in our pajamas!" Rhydian ranted.

"Go for it, little dude." Tate encouraged him.

He ran out of the room excited for a night where his family was all together.

*

Four hours later, the movie was over and Rhydian was fast asleep inside the makeshift fort.

Tate was laying down next to me on the pullout bed couch.

My mind was going a mile a minute. Tate is so upfront with his feelings and expressing them, which is so different than how he was in high school.

I can't help but feel like I owe him that same honesty.

"I have something to get off my chest. Don't interrupt me or I won't get it all out."

He turned his body towards me. "Go on."

"I miss you, Tate." I confessed. "I miss the Netflix binges and the way you'd climb through my window and creepily stand in the dark waiting for me."

He smiled at me.

I continued. "I want to be with you. I want all three of us to be a family so bad, but your gang just hangs over us like a dark cloud. I thought that it had to be one or the other. Maybe it doesn't though. It sounds so insignificant, but tonight has showed me that this can work. We can work. But then I get to thinking again. What if I am being selfish? I want a family. I want you in my life again, but am I putting Rhydian in danger because I miss you? Or am I just overreacting about the gang situation. I just don't know what is the right thing to do."

Tate reached over and grabbed my hand. "I think in a situation as complicated as ours, there really is no right and wrong. There are just two very different paths."

Who would have thought that Tate could be wise.

"You know where I stand, Luna. I want to give us a real shot. I understand if that is not what you want, but I can't live pining after you forever. If this isn't what you want, if I am not what you want, I am going to have to find a way to move on."

The thought of Tate with someone else made me feel sick. He is right though. It is not fair of me to expect him to wait around for me to decide whether or not I want him.

I made my decision. I do not want to go back to my and Rhydian's apartment without Tate. "I think we should try. It is not going to be easy, but as long as the gang does not affect my and Rhydian's daily life, we might be able to make this work."

Tate pulled me closer and hugged me, which was slightly awkward as we were both still lying down. "We can figure out the details once this whole Marie thing blow over. I think we should just start by dating or something small. I want to do this the right way."