Chapter 17

Tate woke me up when the sun started to rise. I'd officially been out all night. Being a delinquent is kind of liberating.

I decided to push my runaway father's return to the back of my mind. I'll work through that when I am safe at home.

Tate and I made our way out of the building. Like we planned, Jackson was waiting in the car a few blocks away. When we spotted the familiar car, Tate grabbed my wrist and pulled me to a stop. He hasn't said anything to me since last night. Even when he woke me up, he just silently shook my shoulder until I opened my eyes.

"Just so you know, I'm not going to give up. You are so busy trying to protect yourself from anything and everything that might hurt you, that you forget to live. Maybe you don't really feel our connection, but that's okay. You will. Just watch." He whispered and I rolled my eyes.

I didn't bother responding. I just tugged my wrist out of his grip and walked over to the car.

I don't know what caused the drastic change in Tate, but I don't think I like it.

I opened the door to the backseat and got into the car.

"How was your night in hiding?" Jackson winked

What is wrong with these people? "Why did you wink, Jackson?"

"The wuss didn't tell you? Well, think about it Luna. Why were we able to drive off, but you and Tate had to hide for hours?" Jackson peered at me through the rearview mirror.

You're joking, right? This was all some little scheme to get Tate to tell me that he had a little crush? These boys need to grow up. "I've spent the night freezing my ass on a concrete floor when I could have been in my own bed? Screw you, Jacobs."

Tate finally opened the passenger side door.

"What took you so long?" Jackson asked him.

"I was trying to see if I could get another look at the warehouse we found last night, but I couldn't even get close. I figured they would've packed it all up by now. That's what I would done. We know the location of one of their drug warehouses. That's huge. The place is crawling with guys with very big guns. If they are trying to be inconspicuous, they suck at it." Tate told Jackson

"Alright. We'll call home after we drop off Luna." Jackson started the car and we left the warehouse district.

Where exactly was home? Do I really want to know? Probably not. I think that I have gotten my fill of the thug life for a while.

To be honest, I can't wait to get home, make myself some hot coco, and escape into a book for a while.

Jackson pulled in front of my house. I had my belt off before he even came to a complete stop. I got out of the car without a word and walked through my front door.
The first thing I saw was my mother sitting on our couch. The television was off and she had another glass of wine in her hand.

I should know better, but I can't help but be disappointed. She is never going to be the woman she was before my father left.

"Luna Odessa Ludwig." She said quietly, but I could hear a panicky edge to her voice. "Where have you been?"

I sighed. "How many glasses of wine have you had?"

"Do not avoid my question. Where were you?"

"Out." I answered back. I don't particularly like how bad my relationship with my mother is, but it can't be helped. She wasn't there for me when I needed her. She can't fix that. It's too late.

Into the Dark (Completed) जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें