Chapter 5

Four weeks passed and the leaves began to change, yet things didn't get much better than the first three days of school. In fact, they hardly changed at all. I still hate Tate with a burning passion. We haven't said a word to each other since our argument on the third day of school. I'm starting to believe that Jackson and I's friendship will never be the same. I still don't have an opinion on Connor except 'player' because he's been with more girls in four weeks than guys I have in my entire life. The only thing that is really different is my friendship with Josh.

"Josh," I whined as I joined Josh at our usual lunch table. "Marie ditched me yet again to go and eat lunch with them."

"She never said that you couldn't sit with her. Jackson is her friend too. He would be your friend as well if you let him. If anything, you are ditching them." He told me, taking a bite of his cheeseburger.

"Hey!" I protested. "You are ditching them too then."

He arched an eyebrow. "I just don't want to have to choose between my friends and they won't get mad at me for sitting with you instead of them."

Guilt slammed into me. These past weeks I've been a bit possessive over my friends, and by friends I mean Marie and Josh. I know that I've been driving Marie crazy, but Josh doesn't seem to mind. He's not afraid to tell me when I'm wrong, yet he won't ditch me even if I'm being ridiculous. I know that it isn't fair for me to take him away from his friends. He tells me every day that I'm being stubborn and everyday I blow it off, but maybe he's right. Do I really want to spend the rest of my senior year alone? It's not like I have to become Ms. Social Butterfly, hell, I don't even have to talk to anyone, but it is getting kind of old sitting with only Josh every day. Marie is my best friend and I'm distancing myself from her. That's not fair to any of us.

"Fine." I pouted. "We can sit with them."

Josh smiled at me, surprised. "Things with you and Jackson won't fix themselves. Ignore Tate and claim your friends back. I don't like seeing you so miserable."

I grabbed my tray and stood up. Josh followed me to Jackson's table. Marie told me that Jackson always made sure that two seats were empty for Josh and me if we ever wanted to sit with them. I sat in the seat next to Marie and Josh sat next to me. Unfortunately, Tate was sitting right across from me.

"Oh, the princess is gracing us with her presence. I guess, she's finally deemed us worthy." Tate sneered at me. "Should I bow, your Majesty?"

"Oh, shut it, Tate." Marie sighed and shook her head.

"Yes. Bow down, my bitch." I spat at him. "I'm not going to deal with your crap, Wall-e."

He rolled his eyes. "Stop calling me that stupid name."

"It's not my fault that you aren't significant enough for me to remember your name." I retaliated.

"You really want to start on who is more significant? If you disappeared and no one but Josh would notice." He narrowed his eyes at me.

"This is not ignoring him." Josh elbowed me.

"He started it!" I whined and Josh just put a finger over my mouth and made a shushing sound.

I groaned, but didn't say anything.

"You tamed the beast." Tate pretended to give Josh an impressed look. "Didn't think that it was possible."

I moved Josh's finger from my face. "I thought I was a princess. Make up your mind."

"You are like the Beast from Beauty and the Beast. I would suggest that Josh is your Beauty, but he hasn't been able to turn you human again." He shrugged.