Chapter 4

"Luna? Honey, is that you?" My mother walked out of the kitchen in a flour covered apron.

"Yeah." I gave her a forced smile. Our relationship has been extremely strained since my father left. I can't help but think that she is going to leave any day now. It doesn't help that she was in a drunken haze for about four months after he left, before she cleaned herself up. She was gone a lot then, but now she's back to being one of those baking, nosy mothers. 

"How was school?" She asked, wiping her hands on a dish towel.

"Fine." I said already making my way to my room.

"Dinner will be ready in ten minutes!" She called after me. It's not even four o'clock yet.

I started using the excuse that I already ate to avoid eating dinner with her. She took that as a challenge and has been making dinner earlier and earlier.

"I'm not hungry." I yelled back at her.

"We are eating a family dinner tonight whether you like it or not. Ten minutes." She used her 'mom' voice. I rolled my eyes, but didn't argue.

Because it is still just the first week of school, I didn't have any homework, so I pulled a book out of my backpack. 

I stretched out on my bed and immersed myself into a world of Plain Janes getting the guy.

After what felt like only thirty seconds later, the door to my room busted open. An angry mother was standing in my door way.

"I have been calling you for dinner for more than five minutes." She said through clenched teeth.

"Whatever." I put my book down and stood up. 

She took a deep breath, but turned around and walked towards the dining room without saying another word.

Our 'family dinners' are always awkward. 

I sat in my usual seat and dished spaghetti onto my plate. 

"So," My mother broke the silence. "you meet any new friends at school?" 

"Not really." I answered. 

"You like your classes?" She tried to spark a conversation again.

"I guess." I mumbled in between bites. 

"Well, at work, I started talking to this guy. He's really nice." She looked at me as if expecting that I would explode. 

"Hmm." I kept my face expressionless. I've dealt with enough drama for one day. 

"That's okay with you, right? I know with what happened with your father and all is a sensitive topic with you." She was trying to get a reaction out of me. There's probably not even a guy. 

"Do what ever and who ever you want. Frankly, I don't give a damn." I dropped my fork on my empty plate with a loud clang. 

"Language, Luna." Her voice was stern, but her cheeks were flushed.

"Whatever." I stood up and grabbed my plate and glass.

I dumped my plate into the sink. If she wanted to act like a mother so bad, she can do the dishes. 

Less than a minute later, I was back on my bed. 

My cellphone pinged from my nightstand where it laid. 

It was a text message from Marie asking if I wanted her to call. I ignored it. I was so done socializing for the day.

The rest of my night was uneventful, just the way I like it.