Chapter 22

You'd think that being in a gang would be constant work, but Tate is never busy. I can't help but hope that he has been distancing himself from that life.

One of my favorite things about Tate is that I could call him at any time and he'll pick up on the first ring. It does not matter what he is doing or where he is, he answers.

Like now, for instance, I was trying to finish my English homework, but I left my textbook at school. I pulled out my phone and texted him.

Luna: Tate you up?

Less than a minute later my phone pinged.

Tate: What's wrong?

Luna: I forgot my English textbook at school.

Tate: Be right there.

I looked at my phone confused. It's three in the morning. Why the heck is he coming over?

Luna: Tate, just take a picture of the questions and send it to me.

I waited around for him to answer, but my phone remained silent. He must be driving. Damn, now I have to put on some pants.

I pulled on some clothes and threw my hair up into a messy bun. I walked downstairs and decided to make myself something to eat while I wait for him. My eyes had already adjusted to the darkness, so I did not bother to turn on any lights.

I toasted some bread and put cinnamon and sugar on top. To be honest, I was just too lazy to make anything else.

Headlights lit up the inside of my dark house and I unlocked the front door.

Tate was wearing a black hoodie and sweatpants. His hair was an absolute mess. He obviously just got out of bed. He rolled out of bed in the middle of the night to bring me a textbook.

"Dude, why the hell are you here?"

He smirked and handed me his textbook. "You're welcome."

"Tate, I thought you were going to text me a picture of the questions, not show up at my house at 3am." I rolled my eyes.

"Oh." He looked at me with innocent doe eyes. Tate Marks is the least innocent person I know, but that look still made my heart flutter.

I hit him lightly in the shoulder with the textbook. "Thanks, though, I guess."

"Wanna watch a movie?" He asked.

We have to be up for school in three hours, but I did not want him to leave. My mother is gone, to be honest I don't know if she's going to come back at all. Living in an empty house can sometimes be a bit lonely. I like how Tate knew that and didn't make a big deal about it.

"Sure." I shrugged as if it was nothing.

I put the textbook on the kitchen table and followed Tate into the living room. Who needs homework anyway? He'll probably just let me copy his tomorrow anyway.

***

The glaring sunlight peaked through the curtains, blinding me. Where am I? I blinked a few times and remembered the night before. Tate and I watched Trolls before falling asleep on the couch. I smiled to myself. I would never tell him this, but he really makes me happy.

Where is he, anyway?

I grabbed my phone and checked the time. 11am. Maybe, he went to school. What an ass for not waking me up.

I stood up and looked around. I heard his voice in the kitchen.

"Yes, I'm here, but sir, I swear nothing happened." Tate mumbled.

Who is he talking to? I walked into the kitchen. Tate was on the phone with his back to me.

"You wanted me to get close to her and that's what I'm doing. She needs a friend, sir." He voice started to slowly rise. "With all due respect, she has a lot of problems. It's not easy to get her to trust me."

My mind went blank.

"She's your daughter. You'd probably have more success than me. She wont just blindly listen to me. Luna Ludwig does not like to be told what to do." He turned and saw me standing in the doorway.

"I have to go. I will call you in about an hour." He put his phone on the counter.

"What the actual fuck?" I grinded my teeth together.

"How much did you hear?" He looked down.

I bit my lip to try to stop the tears from coming out. "Get out."

Tate shook his head. "No, just listen to me. It's not as bad as it sounds."

"Do you know how hard it is for me to trust someone? You're spying on me for my father! Are the other guys in on it? Am I just a part of some elaborate scheme to get me to join my father?"

His eyes widened. "Luna, you cannot tell the guys about this. I'm working both sides, I'll admit it, but they will kill me if they find out."

I scoffed. "You deserve what ever they do to you! How could you betray so many people? Are you just that fucked up? I knew you were messed up."

"Luna! I'm not joking. They will actually kill me. I know you're mad but you don't want me dead, right?" He reached for me and I stepped back.

"If you do not leave right now, I will call Jackson."

He started walking towards the door. I picked up his textbook and threw it at his back as hard as I could. "Take your stupid book too."

Tate left.

He's betraying the guys. Should I tell them? I hate Tate Marks, but I don't want him dead. What if one of the guys get hurt as a result of this? Could I live with myself if I knew, but didn't do anything?

Then, it really hit me.

Everything was a lie. Every Netflix night, every late night food run, every class ditched, every jealous act, every subtle compliment, every comforting word, every time he told me that he actually wanted to be with me was a lie.

How stupid am I? I thought I could change the bad boy. I thought he had changed. I thought just because I did not see him doing anything bad anymore, he was an angel.

Never again am I going to let myself feel something for someone. I'm numb.

Screw having friends. Screw love. Screw thinking that for once, things would go my way.

I reached into the cabinet and pulled out a bottle of Jack. "All I need in my life is you." I spat bitterly.

I popped the cap and paused. I closed the bottle and put it away. I am not my mother.

I'm going to bed.

________________

That is all for this chapter!

I tend to write shorter chapters because to be honest, I'm too lazy to make them longer. I'm a full-time college student, so I have a lot going on.

I am looking forward to finishing this book sometime soon. We're definitely in the homestretch. As we get to the last two chapters or so, before the epilogue short series, they're already written so they'll come out pretty close together. I just have to write a few chapters to lead up to that point.

Please vote and comment!

Anubis xx