Chapter 35

Louis' POV-

I had left for the bar right after work and Nick was already waiting for me inside the door when I finally did arrive.

"What's up, Tomlinson?" he greeted me with a smile.

"Nothing much, how are you doing?" I asked him.

"Ready for drinks" he chuckled.

"I feel that, I feel that" a weak smile tugged at my lips. 

"Then what the hell are we waiting for?" he nodded his head for me to follow him over to the bar top, which I did without hesitation.

"How are you men doing this evening?" the girl bartending beamed, setting down menus for both of us.

"Stressed and depressed" Nick replied. "And you, Beautiful?"

"I'm doing pretty damn good, considering" she giggled flirtatiously. "Do you guys know what you would like?"

"Give me something strong" I spoke up.

"Me, too" Nick agreed.

"Alrighty, I'll be right back with that" she took turned around.

"So what's new in your life, how's the girlfriend gig going?" Nick twisted his stool around to face me.

"It's going good" I answered. "She has a job interview today"

"Oh, yeah? Where at?"

"The library"  I replied.

"That's sick"

"I'm proud of her, I can't wait to hear how it went" I propped my chin in my hand.

"Well, what's there to doubt?" he tilted his head at my uncertain expression.

"She's kind of shy" I admitted. "Like not to me anymore, but in new situations she is. She's not the type to go out of her way to talk to someone"

"Oh, I see. Well, it's a library. I'm sure they appreciate a lowkey personality"

"True"

"Here are your drinks" the bartender came back up, setting down our alcoholic beverages on the little napkins, then placing a stir stick in each. "Enjoy"

"What is this?" I hissed to my coworker after she moved down the line to help someone else.

He brought it to his lips and sniffed. "Vodka mixed with something"

"Works for me" I smirked, bringing it to my own lips and taking a giant gulp.

The strong liquid burned down my throat, making my nose scrunch up and eyes squeeze shut.

"That strong?" Nick laughed.

Still trying to shake the taste, I nodded. Laughing at my reaction, he brought his own drink back up to his mouth and took a smaller gulp, followed by the same reaction.

"Damn right that's strong" he set it down. "I love it"

"Me, too" I agreed. "Just don't let me get drunk"

"Aye, same here"

Unfortunately, getting drunk was a relative description. He and I both had three, and I was beginning to feel tipsy. I had made them last the best I could, taking a sip every few minutes as we talked, but the talking turned into joking, and joking into laughter. Before I knew it, our tipsy asses were bantering about literally nothing. I was sober, mind you. Just pretty tipsy. The world was only just beginning to spin around me, but had yet to grow dark.