Ch. 4: Gnome Your Enemy - DON'T BECOME THE GNOME: Part 2

"You want us to go in there...you're joking right?" I repressed a yawn as Jim stared at the same contraption I was, him agreeing with me.

"It'll all work out, I promise." Blinky insisted as he pushed me and Jim into the small machine. Jim and I were squished together, shifting around uncomfortably. "Blinky! What's with all the smoke?" I  felt Jim pull me towards him as the machine began to shake violently. "No need to worry Master Jim and Miss (Y/n)." The rattling became more intense as Jim yelled, "That's because YOU'RE not in here."

Moments passed when the metal doors opened and Jim and I stumbled out. "I don't think it worked." I mumble as I rubbed my head annoyed.

"On the contrary." Blinky's thick accent made the statement sound so harmless...YET JIM AND I WERE NOW PINT SIZE!

"No, no, no!"  I patted myself in horror of my small size, looking at Jim horrified, then up at our now HUGE friends.

"(Y/n) and I can't be small! We have a Spanish project to present! And sinks to reach!" Blinky only shook his head and guided us to where the gnome had our amulets, in his home.

This has to be the stupidest thing I've ever done." I state as Toby gave Jim and I pencils to be our "swords", little pins being our shields.

"Agreed. Let's just get this done and crush that Spanish project, Partner." He fist-bumped me quickly as we both made our way into the hole the gnome called home.

As we walked Blinky yelled to us not to touch the gnome's hat. "Yeah, I read that somewhere." I whispered as we continued to walk down a tunnel.

I then gasped/gagged in surprise as a doll's head that was hanging from the ceiling, face turned to me when had bumped into it. I backed into Jim hearing him say, "This is one creepy little dude." I gulped and started walking again. "Yup."

I then heard the chatter of a small voice, almost cute if you didn't know who it was coming from. We peaked over a corner to see the small gnome talking to--talking to the skeleton of a gnome, yelling when it didn't respond angrily as if it were alive.

"Poor guy...he's all alone." I looked at the gnome sadly as Jim shook his head. "That 'poor guy' borderline took off your hand. You're just lucky Blinky had special troll ointment for that." He huffed as he glanced down at my bandaged hand, some blood soaking through the cloth as I tucked it into the sleeve of my hoodie. "I'm fine. Let's just go get our amulets back." Jim nodded and was about to move forward when a frightening hiss filled the quiet room.

The gnome then jumped on us, its dagger teeth viciously coming at us...

"You've caught the gnome! Brilliant!" Blinky exclaimed.

"Yeah, we don't wanna forget the little people." Jim smiled at his pun. I knocked his shoulder playfully and took my armor off relieved, liking the feeling of my amulet back in my pocket, safe.

"Let's go home. I'm beat." I yawned as we waved bye to Blinky and Arggghh, Toby walking by our sides, asking us a million questions.

"Yeah, I feel you. We should definitely review the project before bed though, also Romeo and Juliet." He thought out loud, his eyes tired.

I nodded. That sounded perfect.

"I know Blinky wants us to like...kill him...but I don't think I can." I tell Jim as I put away our books for the night.

"Same...we'll figure it out in the morning. When we're back to normal." He laughed tiredly as he laid on Toby's pillow.

"Goodnight Toby." But Toby didn't respond as he stared at the bag with the gnome in it, a stranger look in his eyes.

"Toby?" He snapped out of it and nodded." 'Night, (Y/n)."

That...was weird.

I woke up to a screaming Jim.

"(Y/n)! We're still small!" I jumped out of what seemed like a doll bed, us in a dollhouse, me now screaming with him.

...

We figured it out though. We turned back to normal size, passed our Spanish project with a high B with the help of Toby, Toby DIDN'T kill the gnome (Who we now call Chompsky) which we now take care of, and though a little late, made it to Romeo and Juliet rehearsal.

But, as I hung out with Jim that night, us reviewing some stuff for school than watching some movies, I got this feeling. The bad feeling that someone was watching us.

"Jim." I tugged on his sleeve as he had already begun to drift off to sleep, the movie still playing.

I think I scared him as he jolted awake and swung his arms in front of me, like a shield. "What's wrong? Are we being attacked!?" I quickly calmed him down as I held him down gently. "No, no, no...we're safe. I just feel something's off." I explain looking out the window, not seeing anything but I still scooted closer to Jim, uneasy.

He rubbed away his tired eyes as he saw how unsettled I was. "Is someone watching us?" He asked in a hushed voice, looking out the window with me. "I think so..." He held me close as we both struggled to go to sleep that night...but then again, we were exhausted from training, fighting, studying, a whole lot really.