Ch. 17: Angor Management --- I'll Protect Her!

"(Y/n). What's with you lately? You've been on insisting being with me so much I'm starting to worry. You okay?" Miss Lake pulled her fiery hair up, giving me a knowing look behind her glasses.

I couldn't tell her. I couldn't tell her that the man she was attracted to had lost control over a magical assassin, that the man she was attracted to had bonded their lives to protect himself, Jim now having to protect him while I protected her. That certain special magical assassin being so unpredictable we couldn't take any chances.

I couldn't tell her...

"I just feel we don't talk enough. I don't think I can ever properly thank you for letting me stay here...it has helped me a lot..." I scratched the back of my head, offering my arm to her as we headed out to the mall.

"It's no problem at all! And, a girl's day out is exactly what I need." She gave me a smile, a kind smile, a motherly smile as she walked with me.

"Remind me to thank your mom for raising such a sweet girl."

I wanted to laugh. Hysterically. 

"Oh," I looked up for a moment and shrugged. ", Maybe the two of you can talk about that one day." Wouldn't that be something?

"We can do it today! I'd love to meet her!"

I shook my head. "She's probably not home. I think? I never know."

Miss Lake patted my head. "We can try."

No. Don't try. I don't want to know.

╔══════╗╚══════╝

"Look! She's home!" No, no, no, no, no, no!

"Uh-huh..."

Miss Lake knocked on the door, my door, and my mother came to the door in seconds.

"Hello-" She looked down at me and the amount of disgust that filled her eyes, her entire expression, made me avoid eye contact.

"What do you want?" Her tone immediately changed, looking at Miss Lake annoyed.

Miss Lake was surprised like I knew she'd be, searching for words to such a bitter question.

"I-" She cleared her throat unsure. "I just wanted to meet you. You are (Y/n)'s mother, correct?"

She nodded, looking back down at me with an intense stare. Miss Lake looked at how we both reacted, putting an arm in front of me, slowly back up.

"Well, nice to meet you then. Good-bye." Miss Lake started to walk away with me at her side when my mother spoke up.

"So, you've replaced me, huh?" She was cold, her tone filled with such anger it made me shiver.

"There was nothing to replace." Her eyes turned into flames of fury, taking a step towards me.

I flinched slightly but stood my ground as she made advances towards us. 

Miss Lake saw my reaction, her eyes filling with sadness and protectiveness. "We're leaving. You should go back inside."

My mother paused and took a step back, turning to leave when she made one more comment.

"I knew you were selfish, but to burden others with your disgusting presence is just plain terrible. Even for you."

╔══════╗╚══════╝

"I didn't know." Miss Lake sighed, me just waving her pitty away.

"I deal with it. It's all good." She was about to say something when the sound of objects falling outside made me look out the window with alarm.

"I'll go check that out. Stay here." As soon as I exited the house, I was in my armor ready to go. With my sword at hand, I scanned my surroundings.

"Destined Partner (Y/n), we meet again."

That voice sent chills down my spine. Like it had just touched my soul.

"Angor..." I turned to him, watching him look through the window to study Miss Lake, who was mindlessly reading a book.

"You're protecting her...you just keep surprising me, Destined Partner." He looked at me with his dark eyes, my hand starting to shake as I forced my sword to stay still.

"You didn't have an amazing childhood, I learned that today while you spent time with her." He had been spying on us....and I didn't even know.

"Why do you act as if you're intrigued?" He started to take steps towards me, me backing up slowly while raising my sword.

"Because I am. I've never met a Destined Partner. You're admirable for a weak human." I watched as he raised the rock, the rock that had completely destroyed me not too long ago.

But nothing happened, for now.

"I mean, you're protecting the Trollhunter's mother. You could care for her, with the lack of a proper mother, that'd be normal. But, you do it so the Trollhunter will be at ease, knowing you're here protecting his loved ones. Don't you ever feel underappreciated? I mean, has the Trollhunter even said he loves you?" 

I almost tripped on a trashcan as he started to corner me.

"H-he hasn't s-said it but --- but I know he does. I mean, after all we've been through together!" He raised the rock again, making me flinch.

"You have a strong soul. But you long for those words don't you? To have that assurance? But you're too scared to ask. Not wanting to seem needy. And you fear rejection, so you keep quiet."

I narrowed my eyes at him, swinging my sword quickly, cutting his cheek ever so slightly. "Shut up."

"Always having a front. Yet kind all at once. Isn't it tiring?" He gave me a sly grin as he caught my sword on my second swing.

"I will destroy you. I won't enjoy it, but it will come to pass."

And then, the pain.

It was like a wave of bricks, making my knees buckle under the pressure. Every vein in my body scorching, like hot metal, was pumping through them. I tried to suck in air, but it was horrid, my lunges seeming to shut down on themselves. I clawed at the ground, trying to stand, but I shook violently as I let out blood-curdling screams.

"You're the key, and as the key, this is only a taste of what real pain is. You will open Killahead Bridge, and you will watch the world come to its end."

He disappeared as Miss Lake came rushing out, calling 911 immediately as I grabbed the grass in vain.

"No!" I sobbed, my body aching and my head feeling as if it would combust.

"I'm not the key! I won't be the key!"

I was the key. And, my gut told me I would open Killahead.

(A/n): AHHHHH I absolutely hate how inconsistent my writing is but I forced myself to get some progress in today! Just have been in a weird funk. Has your mind ever felt cloudy? Or muddled? Like you're tired for no reason? That's been me all week! But, just trying to breathe and what-not. I hope this was a good read 😁