Ch. 9: Recipe for Disaster -- Isn't It Always?

↹ (Y/n)'s P.O.V ↹

As the entire class nodded off at Mr. Strickler's speech, Jim and I watched him closely.

That ring. That ring was proof that he was a changeling, that he knew who Jim and I were and the entire history of trolls. He knew. He had always known. And that fact was killing me.

The bell rung, every student running out with great speed.

"Huh, maybe you should re-think the way you teach, Mr. Strickler. Learn how to engage the students more." I taunted, Jim grabbing my hand as we walked out.

"I don't think I've ever hated a teacher so much." Jim nodded as we stopped at our lockers, having to let go of each other's hand.

"And get this! My mom invited him over for dinner!" He banged his head against his locker door, growling in frustration.

I used my hand to be the border between his head and the metal, pushing him away from his own locker, loading in his books for him.

"Do you think your mom has a-a-crush on him?" Jim's face of horror made me wave my hands in alarm. "Just a theory! But, your mom doesn't know him as the evil guy we know, so you couldn't blame her if she did." As we walked down the hall, Jim held my waist, keeping us close together as multiple other classes were walking out.

"I guess you're right...and I want her to be happy! Just not with him."

I gave him a small smile and held the hand he had wrapped around me. "It'll work out. You'll see."

"And then he gave me the hard copy! Not the actual file!" Strickler joked, Miss. Lake laughing just a little too hard.

"Yeah, haha, hilarious." Jim mocked. I slapped his arm, him looking at me with a frown.

"Be nice." I whispered to him. He glared at Strickler, squeezing my hand with anger. My eyes widened in surprise, patting the top of his hand to signal for him to let go. He looked down confused but quickly noticed, sighing sadly as he let go.

I scooted closer to him, our shoulders now touching.

"Miss. Lake! This meal is..." I tried to think of a kind description as I forced down the too salty and dry food. "Lovely. Absolutely lovely. Thank you."

Jim looked at me with a smile, pressing a kiss to my cheek with a chuckle.

And as Strickler watched, it happened, again. The air turned crisp, an airy feel to it. The entire mood seemed to be lifted as (Y/n) ruffled Jim's hair, him looking at her with such wonder and-and admiration it caused Strickler's own heart to ache. Ache because he knew what they had was real. And that the amulets chose them not because it was random, that the only reason they felt that way for each other was because of magic. No, they would've found each other either way. Troll hunters or not. They were destined for each other and the amulet saw that.

"(Y/n) and I are going to do some homework upstairs mom, Mr. Strickler...' night."

Jim and I raced each other upstairs, pushing each other playfully as we made our way to his room.

"Homework? Mr. James Lake, did you just lie to your mother?" Jim leaned closer to me with a low chuckle. He didn't answer me as he pressed his lips to mine. I slid my hands to his hair, his smooth silky hair that fit perfectly between my fingers, him pressing me against his bed.

"OHHHH~"

Jim's walkie-talkie spoke, making us jump apart.

"YOU GETTING SOME JIMBO!?"

It was Toby, who was watching from his window.

I turned red as Jim raced to his walkie-talkie, yelling into it, "Toby! You creep!" Jim closed his blinds and turned the walkie-talkie off.

I sat on his bed, laughing at his embarrassed face. He bent down to kiss me again, me surprising him as I pushed his legs up so he tripped, onto me. Holding onto him as he fell.