Ch. 32: Parental Guidance; Part 1

So, I hadn't really looked at my reflection. It just wasn't something that seemed important when being possessed and trying to get back to a normal schedule, you know?

So, Jim was just as surprised by my scream from the bathroom as I was.

"MY HAIR!!"

"Hey, hey, what's wrong!?" Jim rubbed his eyes open, groggy and stumbling as he rushed to my side.

"My -- my hair -- it's white..." I breathed in utter disbelief. "Is this like some prank? Is it dye? Can I wash it out?" I turned towards Jim whose worried face quickly molded into a sheepish/guilty expression.

"You've had that lock of white hair for a while now. I thought you knew." I shook my head frantically at him. I had hoped my use of magic wouldn't have a side effect on me but clearly, that was wishful thinking.

"If it makes you feel better, you pull it off." Jim attempted to lighten the mood, pecking my cheek with a smile.

I looked back in the mirror, sighing. "We can dye it, right? At least try to?" I leaned back on his shoulder to look up at him at a weird angle.

"Of course," Jim told me to stay home, to sit down and relax, which I didn't know what to really do instead of just sitting down with a good book.

Jim came running back into the house with multiple bags in his hand, placing them down on the table with a quick skip to me. "All right beautiful, let's do this." I laughed at his dramatic actions, him spinning me as he brought me to the kitchen sink.

He put a towel around my back and front side, putting gloves on himself. He started to wet my hair, me trying to repress my giggle. "What is it?" He laughed with me confused.

"You look so professional and it's only one strand." I smiled goofily as he sighed dramatically. "Trust the process." He chuckled.

He laid the dye off thick, wrapping it sloppily in foil, putting on a timer. "Have you done this before James Lake?" I questioned with narrow playful eyes.

"Long story short, it involved a chicken and Tobey, though I've never done it on an actual hair so --" I snorted, him now rinsing off my wet strands and patting my head dry.

I smiled at how heavenly it felt.

He gave my nose a quick kiss before guiding me to the mirror.

"Voila --" Jim's words sputtered as we both stared at my still white-haired strand.

"No way..." We both breathed, looking at my hair which seemed even whiter than before, practically glowing.

"You know, I hate magic sometimes. Only sometimes of course, and this is one of those times." Jim sighed, resting his head on my shoulder with a sigh.

I petted his hair, "Yeah, I guess it's going to be a permanent thing. I can make this look cool." I say with a sure nod, not wanting Jim to feel like he didn't help.

"Thank you, it was fun doing this. You should give me make-overs more often." I turned to pull him into a hug, him smiling. "Oh, like you need it." He flirtatiously kissed me, his cheeky grin making my smile grow.

I went to deepen the kiss when the sound of the door unlocking made us both pull away with an annoyed glance. Ms. Lake walked in with groceries, Jim and I helped her as she looked at us warily.

She had been a bit off with us, ever since she started to grow closer and closer to the truth that was Jim and I's life.

"What have you guys been doing..." Her question trailed off as she looked at the dye in the sink, raising a brow.

"I thought a new look would be fun." I gestured to my hair with a convincing smile.

She slowly nodded as she gestured to the couch. "You guys, I have a question..."

This was it. She was going to tell us how she knew and she didn't want us to ever leave the house ever again, or even see each other...

"Okay, guys, I know your secret..."