Ch. 42: The Eternal Knight Pt.1

"There is a process, a ritual, we must go through for Lady (Y/n) to be prepared for Gunmar."

 Binky's voice boomed in the quiet room, everyone waiting for instruction as he flipped through his books.

"The only way we can win..." He looked at Jim and me, "Is if you two can work together."

I shrugged. "That's no problem. Jim and I have fought together countless times --"

He cut me off with a patient shake of his head.

"Although you both have grown accustomed to this change," He motioned to Jim's troll state. "That does not mean your connection has been revived."

Our connection? But I felt so good right now. I felt, after so long, like a million bucks. Like nothing could go wrong.

"Blinky, that won't be an issue. Jim and I got this." I gave him a sure nod, but he didn't look convinced.

Which made me uneasy.

"It is the ritual I am concerned about, Lady (Y/n). It involves much magic," That made my stomach turn.

 I had been on probation for magic since the incident with Murlin.

"And this will only indefinitely sever your connection with the Troll Hunter, with Master Jim, if we do not do it correctly. And..." Blinky went quiet, looking down at his book with little interest but as if he didn't want to tell us the next part.

"Blinky?" Jim questioned him, Jim's hand now resting on my shoulder.

"It will -- if the ritual to bring Lady (Y/n)'s connection to all of the previous destined partners fails, we will not have control of her magic, she will be vulnerable, and there is..."

Blinky did it again, looking away with such disgust for himself.

"She will die if there is any form of error." his voice was deathly quiet, but everyone heard him loud and clear.

My heart thudded.

"Blinky," I walked up to him and hugged him, not giving him much time to respond as I pulled away with a smile.

"I've been destined to die for a while now. A lot of people and things have already tried, remember? But they failed.  I have faith in my magic, I have faith in your knowledge, and I have faith in my family."

 I sighed out the last part because it had been something weighing down on my chest for as long as I had known them.

My TrollHunter team was my family and had always been my family since day one.

"And I am willing to do anything to protect my family," I said with not a smile this time, but an almost frown, a promise to everyone in the room.

I think I heard Tobey tear up a bit, Jim walking up to me with the same determined look.

"And I'm not going to let anything happen to her. Gunmar will be here soon, we need to start as soon as we can." Jim stated, confident, leading everyone like he was destined to.

I could feel the fear in him, the human qualitys of doubt and anxiety.

But it assured me that there was still hope, that our connection wasn't gone.

I could still feel Jim, and we were about to test just how strong our bond still was.

 ____

I sat on a big pillow, my calves and feet cold from the stone that was below me.

Blinky had taken us to a sacred cave for Trolls, it was one of the few places the ritual could be practiced.