Ch. 22: Just Add Water -- Something's up, And I Wanna Know What

Tobey, Tobey, Tobey, Tobey. There was something up with Tobey.

I could tell by the way he looked. And that sounded weird, yes, but it was true. Tobey was a positive bubbly person, of course, but lately, he had toned himself down.

And I didn't like that.

Tobey was my wingman. The person who I always knew would be there to make me smile. My best friend...

But he even stopped doing our signature handshake...

"I'm sure he's just enjoying the little peace we've had. It's nice. So, maybe?" Jim attempted to comfort me as I caught one of the books that slid out of his hand.

It had been chilly this morning, Jim and I's hoodies tied close to our necks as we started walking to class.

"It's more than that. Call it a girls intuition." I chided while handing him back his book, him shaking his head with a smile.

"Girl's intuition?" 

"Yes, exactly."

We sat down at our desks and watched as our gym teacher handed out mini flour bags. I patted the solid pouch and laughed as Jim lifted his hands up with no flour bag of his own.

"As you can see, only every other person here got a bag of flour. This is because these bags will become your babies for the day!" My eyes went wide as I looked down at the brown material in my hands.

"You and your partner will have to keep your baby alive and well until tomorrow, this is a grade! Your partner is the person sitting to your left."

With a wide smile, I whipped my head to stare at Jim. "Well, Mr. Lake, looks like you'll be a father for a day."

"And you a mother." He chuckled as we grabbed our flour baby, starting to draw a face.

"What should their name be? Is it a boy or a girl?" I watched as he carefully started to draw eyes.

"(B/n). I've always liked that name. I'm thinking a girl." He grinned ear to ear as he handed me (B/n), her having a small sharpie smile. "She has your eyes."

I laughed, embarrassed, and flushed as I looked up at Jim.

"You guys are like the perfect couple." A girl I had a few classes with chirped, other girls in my friend group nodding along.

Jim offered me a hand as the class came to end, me holding (B/n) in one arm while holding onto Jim with the other.

╔ ╗Toby's P.O.V ╚ ╝

I was selfish! I was stupid -- I was miserable...

The thought of (Y/n) made me anxious, the thought of Jim making me queasy.

I was a terrible friend. Having these feelings for (Y/n)... was horrible.

I had truly thought that if I had become friends with her, that'd be enough. I'd tried, before Jim had become the Trollhunter, to get him to ask her out. He'd had the biggest crush on her from the beginning of the year as well...

A lot of guys did, girls included. She was just like that though. Easy to get along with right off the bat, making you feel special when you talked with her. She respected everyone, stood up for anyone. She was hilarious, knew when to crack the perfect joke at the perfect time. And on top of all of that, she was smart! She was always the top student and was an amazing public speaker.

And it didn't hurt that she looked like a complete angel...

It made it a thousand times worse when she became the Destined Partner. Not only was she destined by magic, by legend to someone else. But to my best friend...but she became even more admirable! The way she fought, the way she had grown into even a greater person if that was possible. And instead of just becoming friends, we became best friends...

I'd be a liar if I didn't say that I had envied Jim, still envy him. And that was terrible! Those two were soulmates and I couldn't help but imagine how it would be to be the one holding (Y/n)...the one she loved infinitely.

So, as she stared at me with her wide doe-eyes, asking if I wanted to hang with her, a movie night --

"I gotta help my nonna do some cleaning, but I'll catch you guys later!" I smiled, not naturally, but I smiled.

I had to smile for her, I had to smile...

╔ ╗(Y/n)'s P.O.V ╚ ╝

Something in me stirred uneasily as Tobey walked away. Maybe he--

No -- well -- I should ask? I didn't know what was going on with him and it bothered me. I should know! I mean, what if he wasn't feeling well. What if he was traumatized and wasn't telling us...!

As I held (B/n) tighter, our day ending with a fight, of course, I had many questions.

(A/n):  School's had my hands tied behind my back for a while but I really wanted to update!😆

Yall aren't even ready for the next few chapters😈