Ch. 26: Night Patrol; I Hear Voices, He Sees Faces

"It's blue. Or green. But definitely not pink." I popped the sour candy into my mouth, Jim scoffing. "Pink is the best flavor. Now you're just talking crazy." Jim threw one at me, laughing as I rolled off his bed and tackled him with a pillow.

This morning had been calm, yet, in reality, Jim and I were struggling with the overwhelming stress of Gunmar, Blinky having a blind brother none of us knew about? Yup, the list just kept growing.

That ... that, and Morgana.

I knew I should tell Jim, it was the only reasonable thing to do, but -- Jim had recently vented about a test he was stressed about, Gunmar of course, and Strickler's change of sides (That really being a shocker). So, why would I willingly put that on him? 

But it wasn't just the chilling name that had caught me off guard, but, the weird cold I had randomly gotten right after the fight.

"Fine, pink is okay. I'd say top five." I teased Jim, him offering a hand up as we headed to school.

Our bike ride, one we hadn't gotten to do in so long, was peaceful, Jim's calm smile making me happy, a sneeze or two finding their way out.

"Oh my god! Could he be any hotter?!" "He's literally everything!" "AHH, his hair!"

I raised a brow to a crowd of girls, Toby walking up to us with a smile. I waved and returned the gesture. "What's with the fanbase?" He shrugged, doing his handshake with Jim, then, me.

We pushed through the group to get to class, bumping into a shoulder. "My bad." I kept walking when I was dramatically twirled back.

"Consider me blown away because you are nuclear." The foreign accent threw me off as I now stared at a pair of bright hazel-yellowish-eyes.

I held back a laugh, the line being cheezy, but his smile meant well. "Thanks." I looked over the stranger's shoulder to see Jim waiting for me. 

"I'm new. Mind showing me around?" The boy in front of me had black hair with blue streaks in it, it sitting in his face partially. His outfit screamed chill vibes, cool and what-not.

"I gue --" "(Y/n)," Jim walked up behind me, putting an arm around my shoulders. "We should head to class." Jim shot daggers at the boy, the boy raising a brow to the both of us.

"Don't worry lad, no one's trying to steal your girl," Jim's eyes narrowed. ", She just seems more relaxed than everyone else. That's all. I'm Douxie by the way."  Douxie gave me a quick wink before leaving.

"Jim?" Jim's glare never faltered. "Yes?" I held his hand. "You're cute when you're mad." I giggled as he looked at me sheepishly.

╔══════╗╚══════╝

Douxie continued finding a way to greet me, even if it was for a second. I mean, he was attractive, sure, but, there was something off about him. And, it wasn't necessarily bad, but, just off.

I had forced Jim to go have time for himself with Tobes, Arrrrgggghhhh taking a risky mission to see what Gunmar's whereabouts were, he and Toby needing some bro time.

"I don't want to leave you alone. Bad things always happen when I leave you alone. I've caught on to the pattern." Jim watched me come up with an excuse.

"I have Chompsky with me today. All is good." The gnome nodded bravely, putting his small hand onto mine.

"That is not at all reassuring." Jim eyed the tiny creature, kissing my cheek. "I can handle myself." That was a half-lie.

He reluctantly went to the movies. Leaving me to talk to -- well, me, literally.

"Morgana," I called out into the living room, the house empty as I sat on the rug, Chompsky going upstairs to romance his girl. "Morgana..." I began to become uneasy, the quietness making me open my eyes.

"Destined Partner," A raspy feminine voice jolted me to my feet, no one else in the room.

"Leading the Trollhunter away,  naughty naughty." She cackled, my ears burning from her echoes.

"What -- who are you? How do you know me?" I tried to think of any questions that would help me understand anything at all.

"You are helpless, Destined Partner." Her words made me grab my amulet. It was silent once more as if she had left.

"Sure," My heart pounded at the random voice in my head, her words making me feel violated. "You're kind. But, it's the worse kind. You are selfishly kind, Destined Partner. Understand?" For whatever reason, her words stung my heart. "No, I don't understand..."

She laughed into my mind. "Of course. Again, as I said, the worse kind. You're kind to anyone and everyone if you can be, I mean, even Gunmar himself!" She laughed hysterically.

"I wasn't kind to him." I shot back, feeling insane as I yelled into an empty room.

"You didn't kill him, out of pity for his feelings, you held back. Am I mistaken?" Her assumption made me lose my count of breath.

"Mm, and now that selfish decision leaves the world graveling for help. Help you can't provide." Her words were so cruel, so mean, so...unfamiliar.

"You're not used to this, are you?" She genuinely laughed. "Your type is so irritating." Her old English was laid thick, closing my eyes once more as I let out a shaky sigh.

"My type?" I felt unbelievably terrible, the way this unknown woman spoke to me was the way my mother did, which made my chest tighten.

"Destined Partners, dear. You feel the need to flaunt everything you have. That, and more. You've taken so much from so many people, unbothered because you have the Trollhunter so all is right." Clearly, she wasn't speaking about me specifically, but, it made me wonder...

"Did a Destined Partner wrong you?" I could hear her breath quicken, then calming herself down with a chuckle. "By God, you really do have a gift for prying things out of people, don't you?"

"I asked a simple question." My lips pressed together tightly.

"Destined Partner, this is a reminder. A reminder that the more in love you are with the Trollhunter, the more souls crushed." I threw my hands up in defeat.

"I don't understand!?" Again, she found my words humorous.

"You are cursed to be favored by all, yet, only give your heart to the Trollhunter. Many have tried to change fate.  Bystanders who longed for either the Trollhunter or Destined Partner. But, the world always ends in ruins. Thousands of lives have been destroyed because of this brainless bond!"

I paused, glaring at the floor. "I would never do that voluntarily." 

Her cackle made my head ache.

"Of course not! None of you do! So innocent yet deadly! Just know, when we meet, you will suffer."

"I've already been through that! Why keep putting Jim and me through the same thing! Why repeat history!?" But she was gone, leaving me feeling sick to my stomach.

Had I really ruined thousands of lives...?