Ch. 33: Parental Guidance; Part 2

This was it.

How Ms. Lake had even found out, no clue, but, this was it. Her unraveling the enormous web of lies Jim and I had conjured up.

"How'd you find out?" Jim mustered out, unable to fully grasp that his mother had finally found out about the danger, the death wish, the one thing Jim wanted to hide from her.

I grabbed his hand and gave it a squeeze, the look of failure that crossed his features made my heartbreak.

 "After seeing -- seeing that thing -- and then I painted -- I just remembered." Ms. Lake struggled to word her finding but we both fully understood. We remember that day vividly.

"(Y/n)!" Her yell made me jump.

"You're parents! They have to know! I mean, I'm still finding it hard to believe," Her stressed laugh visibly hurt Jim. ", But I know for a fact that your parents would want to know. They might feel a certain way... for your safety and everything..." 

I could tell she was backtracking to the day she had met my mother. The room was still, tense, and overwhelming.

"Right...well..." Everyone was in a state of shock with a mixture of fear.

For Ms. Lake, she now knew her little boy, her precious Jim, was in danger. Forever in danger. That his destiny was to be more than a teenage boy, something she didn't want. For her, a mother, how the hell was that supposed to make her feel?

For Jim, for him and I, it was the possibility of not being able to fulfill our duties. What if, she decided that in our best interest, we should no longer fight evil...the thought gave me shivers.

And more so for Jim, he feared for his loving mother's safety.

"Look, mom," Jim's voice was a bit more hoarse than usual. "I know it's a lot," She nodded with him, agreeing. ", But, this is so much bigger than you think -- than what you've seen. And, there's nothing I can do about that at the moment and I'm sorry."

Ms. Lake, clearly still overwhelmed, slowly nodded.

"Hey," She rested her hand atop of mine, the one holding Jim's hand. "I may not -- I may not know half of what's going on," She gave a weak smile. ", But I'll help in any way I can. Just, this time, keep me in the loop." Her big kind eyes begged, and Jim and I nodded.

She let out a shaky breath, nodding once more, that settled it.

"Tobey knows too, right?"

"Knows?" I laughed. "He's the one that keeps it alive most of the time." My joke was wrongly timed, her brows knitting together.

"Not like we're always in danger! Or anything!" Jim waved his hands frantically.

She shook her head, "Tobey's Nana and your parents, (Y/n), need to know. It's the right thing to do."

This time, Jim was the one to give my hand a squeeze.

"Right, it's the right thing to do. And that's what we do."

╔══════╗╚══════╝

"They're not gonna come," I mumbled, Jim, rubbing my back with a sad smile. "I'm sure they will." He offered. "I hope they don't," I grumbled.

"Speak of the devils," I looked up to see both of my parents walking up the driveway, looking at me with a very odd look.

"You're hair." That was all my mother had to say, not looking disgusted, but bothered nonetheless.

"Hey kiddo," My dad couldn't be more awkward, him never known for being cruel, just, standoffish.

"Hey..." I trailed off, looking for Ms. Lake.

Because in all honesty, Ms. Lake was more of a mom to me than the woman standing in front of me ever was.

"Sorry," My head whipped back, "Sorry we missed your play. Your friend's mom said you did well."

I turned to Jim, trying to confirm what I had just heard. He looked just as surprised but more relieved if anything. "Er -- wow, uh, yeah thank you." I could tell she meant it because she wouldn't make eye contact.

We all walked inside, Jim, Tobey, and I standing in front of all of our parental figures.

"So, what's going on?" My dad questioned, my mother, nodding along with him.

"Well, the kids have something they'd like to tell you all." Ms. Lake urged us.

"More like show, " I say with a shrug, Jim snorting at my lame attempt to take away the tension my parents brought.

They all waited.

❝For the glory of Merlin, daylight is mine to command!❞

❝For the glory of Merlin, as the Destined Partner of the trollhunter, daylight is mine to command!❞

And Tobey, of course, used his newest addition of weapon, and power I might add, his hammer. Jim and I stood proudly with our armor, Tobey flexing his own with a smile.

In 0.5 seconds, yells were jammed into all of our ears. Not by Nana, oh no, but by the expected enemy.

"What is this!? What the hell is all of this!?" My mother screeched, Ms. Lake attempting to calm her down.

My mother was fuming. Her once "Sorry" was long forgotten as she rushed to me with confused and angered eyes.

"Remember when I told you I had a lot on my plate? Well," I gestured to myself and my two best friends, keeping my cool and she sputtered out nonsense.

"Is this some kind of joke!?" She ignored my statement and looked at Ms. Lake. "No, Mrs. (L/n), I assure you I thought the same thing but it's very much real."

My mother shook her head like a bobblehead, hysterical.

"You're just doing this to make me feel bad! That's it! Trying to make me feel bad for that ONE time! Well, don't even bother reaching out anymore. I'm tired of all of your shit, (Y/n)!" With one brisk movement, she and my dad were gone, leaving me to stare at the wall, still in shock.

Jim pulled me into a hug, which, I barely could react to as Ms. Lake and Tobey smothered me as well.

"Guys," I tried to take a breath from all of their squeezings. "I'm fine."

Maybe -- maybe that was a practical lie. I wasn't totally fine, but, I was kind of expecting it. So, it hadn't hurt that bad...

╔══════╗╚══════╝

"I still will never understand how she -- how she raised you," Jim whispered in utter disbelief, holding me close as we both tried to aim for some sleep.

I let out a yawn, "What do you mean?" I questioned, curling into him more, his arms protectively wrapped around me.

"We can talk about it tomorrow...get some sleep, sunshine."