Ch. 21: Hiss Hiss, Bang Bang! Heros With a Thousand Faces -- I'm Done

It was surreal. It was surreal as Jim and I lay on his bed, shaking and bruised, but together. We reeked, our bodies covered in filth and other substances we didn't dare to think too much about.

Tobey had left for his home not too long before, giving me one long stare before wishing us goodnight.

I curled into Jim's arms and held onto him eagerly, him holding me with a smile.

╔══════╗╚══════╝

"I'm sure Mr. H will show up. You'll see." I comforted my friend as she told me about her missing cat.

"Yeah...it was just the weirdest thing! He went out for a moment, a couple of noises, then, was gone." She held onto her textbooks tightly, looking distressed for a second then suddenly had a sly smile.

"I'll leave you two alone."

I knitted my brows confused, but my confusion was answered by a soft kiss to the forehead.

"Hey." I chuckled as Jim took my bag off my back gently. "You up for a study session with a homecooked dinner?" 

"Like you have to ask?" I leaned against his side as we walked the streets of the town. It was a chilly day out, and it was somewhat busy as everyone left their last class. Jim and I were quiet for a while, because, quiet was insanely rare recently. So, it was lovely just being able to walk for a few moments in peace.

Jim then leaned towards my ear and softly spoke, "I'm thinking--" But he was quickly interrupted.

A loud crash made us look to our left. What was that?

Jim took a step forward, backing away quickly as something sprang from the bushes. A goblin?! We both kicked it back, its ghoulish skin a pearly white instead of seasick green, its eyes a bloody red...

"Blinky?" Jim looked down at me.

"Blinky." I agreed with a nod.

╔══════╗

"Ah, yes. Blood Goblins." Blinky scanned the pages of his book, Jim and I listening in a confused manner while Arrrgggghhhh and Tobey play fought each other on the other side of the library.

"They're more than one kind of goblins?" Jim's face looked so cute when he was puzzled.

Blinky nodded. "But, I fear, there's more bad news." I shrugged. "When's there not?"

Blinky sighed and closed his book. "Well, this species only lives in the Dark Lands. Meaning..."

My entire body tensed. "Than..." But I already knew. Me. I had let them through with the portal. The portal that I swore worked perfectly. Or as perfect as it could've gone for it only being my second time.

"We have no idea how many got out, so, we must hunt them down while we can. They'll -- They'll eat anything in their path." 

I looked at the ground and then my hands. 

Tobey walked up and gave us all a nod. "Hey, come on! We got this. This is nothing."

We all smiled and spent two days hunting down what we could. Surprisingly, there were no major injuries -- just pure exhaustion! But, with everything that had gone down this week, I was still overthinking...

Goblins came out of my portal --

Could -- could Gunmar have gotten out as well -- no! no... maybe...?