Ch. 27: Bad Coffee; Opening Up With a Side of Espresso...Scratch That!

"Wait..." I looked at Blinky with a suspicious smile. "You're not joking?" He shook his head, leaning in very slowly. "Master Jim and you, Lady (Y/n), need this." His words sounded cheerful but his eyes showed me that this wasn't going to be peaceful, not fully anyway.

"So, Jim and I can go on a date...no problem?" Blinky nodded, urging me to take my place by Jim's side, Jim working on homework while talking to Toby.

"Hey." He gave me a quick smile as he pulled out the chair next to him, looking back at his textbooks with a look of determination.

"I was thinking," I glanced at Blinky, uneasy about the beautiful offer. "Would you want to go to the movies today? That new action movie you were talking about finally came out." His face lit up, making a "Duh! Do you even have to ask?!" expression...an expression every teenage boy should make all the time...

I smiled, holding in a sneeze. I tried to keep what had happened the other day to myself, but constant body aches and awful headaches made it hard.

"Still got those weird headaches?" Jim touched my forehead, no fever, yet, I felt like death.

"Their better." I grabbed his hand and held it, looking at Blinky who looked sad.

"One sec." I kissed him on the cheek, him giving me a soft look as I pulled Blinky aside.

"You need to explain. You've never in all the time Jim and I have known you have purposely sent us to go have fun. What's up?" I studied Blinky's worried rocky facial expression, him sighing.

"I'm worried for the two of you." He looked at me. My breathing turned shallow as his dejected gaze glared at a wall, no longer facing me.

"I feel uncontrollably guilty, Lady (Y/n)" His various arms wrapped around himself as he shot a glance to Jim.

"I, as a mentor, thought my only job would be to make sure the two of you learned everything needed to survive...yet, as we grow closer," I had never seen Blinky so torn. "I feel I have failed you. I reminded myself the other day that you two are still but children! But, even though young, you've gone through horrors no one can fathom. You have all of this pressure, resting on your small shoulders..." He faced himself to me but started to walk away. "The least I can do is allow you and Master Jim to enjoy each other's company, in peace, even if it's for a little while."

I stayed motionless, staring at the bookshelf in front of me with watery eyes.

I had gotten used to the fact that Jim and I had worldly responsibilities...but hearing someone say that we deserved a break... made me hold back tears.

╔══════╗╚══════╝

"The movie was perfect, thank you." Jim pressed a kiss to my temple, laughing as I tugged him down for a stronger kiss.

"I was thinking we could get ice cream?" He nodded along with me, his eyes narrowing as I held in a cough.

"I don't like how you've been sounding. Maybe we should go home so you can rest." Jim's words made my headache not as bad. I shook my head and pulled on him, us now sprinting down the street with goofy smiles.

But, I was right. As much as I felt overwhelmed with joy, being with Jim always made my heart soar...the voice that had once haunted me came back.

"Destined Partner."

"Destined Partner."

"Destined Partner."