Bitter-Sweet Moments Cont'd

"Bree....what just happened?"

Bree opened and closed her mouth several times but no words came out. She didn't want to say it, saying it would make it even more real. But she had seen the monitor flatline. Zed's heart had stopped.

"Bree..." Addison's voice quivered. "Please tell me this isn't happening. Please tell me his heart didn't just....that he isn't...."

"Oh Addy." Bree whispered sympathetically, pulling her into a hug. "I'm so sorry."

Tears pooled in Addison's eyes as she pulled out if Bree's grip, shaking her head furiously. "No. He's not dead. No one has come out of that room to tell us he's dead, so he can't be dead. Right? He has to still be alive. He has to be."

Addison paced back and forth, tears running down her cheeks as she ranted quietly, trying to convince herself that what they had seen wasn't true.

Bree watched helplessly, trying to decide what to do. Addison was in a pregnancy hormone-fueled panic. She knew that all the stress wasn't good for the baby, but how could she calm her best friend down?

Bree pulled out her phone, scrolling quickly through her contacts. She needed help. Bonzo? No, his students were performing a band concert tonight. Missy and Dale? No, they were at a council dinner, that's why she came here to be with Addison in the first place. Bucky? No, he was out with Ziva. Zevon and Zoey? She probably should call them but she doesn't have their number. The werewolves? No, they didn't even have phones. Wait, that's wrong. One of them does.

Bree tapped the contact on her screen and sighed in relief when a voice answered on the other end.

"Hello?"

"Wyatt." Bree's voice was stern, but laced with concern. "Zed has taken a turn for the worse and Addison is in a panic. I really need someone to help me calm her down. All this stress isn't good for the baby."

The line was quiet then Bree heard four words she never thought she'd be so happy to hear.

"I'm on my way."

🐾

The doors on the elevator couldn't open fast enough as Wyatt anxiously made his way off the elevator and into the ICU.

Bree's call had concerned him, and he could tell from her voice that things were pretty bad. But nothing could have prepared him for the scene currently playing out in front if him.

Addison was pacing back and forth. Her face was stained with tears as she shook her head vigorously, clearly refusing to listen as Bree, who looked completely exasperated and desperate, continued to try and reason with her.

Wyatt walked over and positioned himself in Addison's line of sight, catching her off guard. She froze in her tracks, staring at him as if she were unsure he was real.

Wyatt took a few steps towards her then opened his arms wide. If words weren't working, then maybe a silent gesture would.

Addison's face crumbled as she collapsed into Wyatt's waiting arms, sobbing into his chest.

"I've got you, Addy. I've got you." Wyatt whispered, wrapping his arms around her and holding her tight as she cried. He looked over at a relieved Bree who mouthed a silent 'thank you'.

Wyatt nodded before turning his attention back to his very distraught and emotional sister, rubbing her back in an attempt to soothe her. "What happened?"

Addison was too choked up to respond so Bree filled him in. "We were visiting Zed and his heart stopped. The doctors are with him but no one has told us anything. We don't know what's happening or if he's okay."