Severing Ties

"Hey Zed. I talked to Addison. She told me what happened. You really gave her a scare, son. We're all worried about you. Everyone thought you would be awake by now. (Picks up photo from the windowsill) I see Addison left you a picture of the baby. You got a pretty good-looking kiddo on the way. You know, I still can't believe you're going to be a father. It seems like it was just yesterday that I was warning you that trying out for the football team might not be a good idea. But I guess if you hadn't, you wouldn't be where you are today, none of us would be where we are today. I don't know if I say this enough, but I am so proud of you son. You've accomplished more than I ever could have imagined and I can't wait to see what you accomplish in the future as a football star and a father. I love you son."

"Dad...."

Bucky sighed as he checked himself over in the mirror one last time. Tonight he and Ziva were going to have dinner with his parents. But there was one problem, they had no idea Ziva was a Zombie.

"If you are so nervous about this, why don't you just cancel?"

Bucky turned to see Addison leaning against the wall just outside the bathroom. "They're my parents Addison. Besides, I've rarely gotten to see them the last ten years. And depending on how tonight goes, it could be my last time. At least one way or another, I will find out how they really feel."

Addison frowned, placing a hand on his shoulder. "If Aunt Colleen and Uncle John can't accept that you love Ziva, then it's their loss. Not yours. You deserve to be happy Bucky."

Bucky smiled, pulling her into a hug. "Thanks Addison. I'm glad to have you on my si-- Woah!"

Bucky pulled away and stared at Addison's baby bump before meeting her gaze. "Did you feel that?"

Addison chuckled, placing a hand on her stomach. "I did. Looks like Little Bean is on your side too."

Bucky raised his brow questioningly. "Little Bean?"

"Yeah." Addison replied. "I had to call the baby something and I think it's a cute nickname."

Bucky nodded. "I get it, but have you thought of any real names yet?"

"Not yet." Addison admitted. "I've been waiting--"

"To talk to Zed?" Bucky finished. "Addison, I know you want Zed to be involved, but maybe it's time you started thinking about it, you know, just in case."

Addison frowned, lowering her gaze as she placed a hand on her stomach. "Maybe I'll make a list, but only so I can share it with Zed when he wakes up, okay?"

Bucky sighed, but then smiled softly at his cousin. He admired Addison's faith in Zed and her ability to always have hope in the most difficult situations, he just hoped that she wasn't setting herself up for heartbreak.

"That's a good start." Bucky replied, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Now, I really have to get going."

Addison nodded. "Of course. Go, I'll see you when you get back."

Bucky straightened himself up in the mirror one last time before nodding. "Alright, see you later."

💚

Bucky took a deep breath as he parked his car outside his home. He was so used to coming home to an empty house, it felt almost strange to see the lights on and an extra car parked in the driveway.

Bucky felt a gentle hand come to rest on his arm and turned to face Ziva whom he had picked up on the way.

"Are you okay?"