Little Wolves: Part 1

"Waaaaaaaah!"

Zed groaned, slowly sitting up in the bed. It had only been a month, but the lack of sleep was taking its tole. Addison stirred beside him, but Zed placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. "I'll get her, you got up last time."

"You sure?" Addison yawned. "You've fallen out of bed twice this week trying to get in your chair. I don't want you to hurt yourself."

Zed moved to the edge of the bed and transferred himself into his chair. "I'm fine, Addy. See? Exhaustion has made us both a little clumsy, but it's nothing we can't handle. Now, you get comfortable and I'll be right back."

Addison sat up, nodding as she wiped the sleep from her eyes. "Okay."

Zed flashed her a tired smile before heading across the hall to the nursery. He wheeled himself up next to the crib, peering between the bars at his crying daughter.

"Hey princess." Zed cooed softly, sliding the front of the crib down so he could reach her. "What's with all the fussing?"

Kenzie turned in the direction of his voice, her cries quieting to whimpers as she eyed him curiously. Zed scooped Kenzie up into his arms, cradling her to his chest. "There's my girl. Daddy's got you. Let's go see Mommy, okay?"

Zed made his way back across the hall. Addison smiled when they entered the room and Zed pulled up beside her side of the bed. Addison took the baby from his arms, taking a moment to situate herself before allowing Kenzie to nurse.

Zed rested his elbow on the bed, laying his head against his palm as he watched his two girls together. Addison reached over and intertwined her free hand with his, both of them sharing a small smile.

"You can get back in bed if you want." Addison told him quietly. "I can take her back."

Zed shook his head. "No, I'll wait. Exhausted or not, I don't want to miss a moment."

Addison rubbed her thumb against the back of his hand. "Fine. Just.... promise me you won't burn yourself out trying to be Super Dad."

"I promise." Zed smiled, kissing her hand. "Besides, Wyatt and Eliza are coming tomorrow so we can take a nap before Kenzie's blessing ceremony at the wolf den. I can make it until then."

"Okay." Addison replied, glancing down at their daughter. "Well Kenzie is asleep again. I'm guessing you want to take her back?"

"You know it." Zed grinned as Addison placed Kenzie in his arms. "I'll be right back."

Addison watched endearingly as Zed left the room with their daughter. It was no surprise that Zed was a wonderful husband and father. He doted on both her and Kenzie everyday, making sure they both had whatever they needed. But she knew better than to take those moments for granted. Addison knew how lucky she was to have her husband by her side. For Kenzie to have her father.

Addison laid down and closed her eyes. She could hear the quiet squeaking of Zed's wheels as he entered the room. To some the sound may be bothersome. But to her, it was a reassuring reminder that Zed was home and alive. And when the bed shifted and his arm wrapped around her waist, pulling her close, it was the most beautiful feeling in the world.

Time Skip brought to you by Mother Ship's Attitude 👽

Addison was putting the last of the dishes into the cabinet when the doorbell rang. She tucked the final plate onto the stack before making her way to the door.

"Coming!"

Addison opened the door, smiling when she saw Wyatt and Eliza on the other side. "Hey! Come on in."