Moment of Truth

"Hey Zed. Um, oh gosh, this feels so wierd just talking to you when you can't respond, but I needed to see you. Dad has been trying so hard to stay positive about all this, but I know you aren't okay. I know he's trying to protect me, but I'm not a little girl anymore. I'm 18, Zed. I shouldn't have to lie and tell dad that I'm going to the wolf den just to come see you by myself. I guess it's not a complete lie though, I am going to the wolf den when I leave here. Wanda and I are going to get ready for graduation together. I wish you could be there to see me walk across the stage. Dad is going to videotape it though so you can watch it when you wake up if you like. I love you big brother."

"Zoey...."

The lobby of the Cheer Arena was buzzing with activity as the seniors smiled in anticipation. Principal Lee worked quickly to get the last of the students lined up before giving the signal. The doors opened wide as music began to play, announcing their entrance. The seniors filed into the room and stood in front of their seats as they waited for everyone to come in.

With a nod Principal Lee signaled them to sit down as she cleared her throat. "Welcome everyone to this year's graduation ceremony. We are so happy to have you all here today as we celebrate the accomplishments of this year's seniors. The class you see before you has worked tirelessly to get to this moment. I speak for all the teachers and staff at Seabrooke High when I say it has been a joy to teach you, and an even bigger joy to learn from you. With each class that comes through our doors, we see not only the growing diversity of our students, but the increasing level of acceptance that comes with it. I applaud you all as the next generation going out into the world, that will help to bring all of us; human, zombie, and werewolf alike, closer together. Congratulations seniors, to all of you. Now, without further ado, our class valedictorian, Zoey Necrodopolis, will give a speech.

Cheers rose from the stands as Zoey stood and walked onto the stage. She waved to her friends and family in the stands, happy that they could all be there to support her. Her dad, Addison, Bree, Bonzo, Zinnia, Eliza, and Wyatt had all made it to the ceremony. Nearby, Willa, Wade, Wynter, Walker, Wylda, and a few other wolves were also gathered to support Wanda, Wren, and the few other wolves that were graduating; but Zoey knew they were excited for her too.

Zoey took a deep breath as she stared out at the crowd. "Good afternoon everyone. If you had told me eight years ago that I would be standing here today, I wouldn't have believed it. Seabrooke has changed so much in such a short time, and it's for the better. As we take our diplomas today, and prepare to go off into the world, I want all of us to continue to spread awareness and acceptance to others. Let us be the leaders this world needs. We are the future, so let's continue to make the world a brighter place for everyone by paving the way for those who will come after us. I'm proud to call you all my classmates and friends. And thank you for believing in me as a student and as Cheer Captain. Congratulations Mighty Shrimp, we did it!"

The seniors whistled and cheered as Zoey took her seat and Principal Lee came back to the podium. She raised her hand to silence them before speaking. "Thank you Zoey, for your moving words. Now, it is time for the conferring of diplomas."

The seniors stood one row at a time and made their way onto the stage one at a time as their names were called.

"Wanda Furrison."

Wanda grinned and strutted proudly across the stage to take her diploma from Principal Lee. As she walked off, Wanda held up her diploma and sent a wink Zoey's way.

Zoey stifled a laugh, trying not to cause a scene as Principal Lee continued to call names.

A few people later...