Baby Steps

2 weeks later....

The morning light shown brightly through the window enveloping the bedroom in a warm glow. Zed opened his eyes, taking a moment to gather himself. He was in his own home, in his own bed, Addison was beside him, and their unborn daughter was healthy and growing.

Zed smiled as he pulled the blanket over his head, taking in the view of Addison's swollen stomach. The closer she got to her due date, the more uncomfortable Addison became. The last few nights had been rough, but Addison finally seemed to have gotten a good night's sleep. He reached over, gently placing his hand against her swollen belly, careful not to disturb her.

"Good morning Kenzie." Zed whispered quietly to his daughter. "Daddy loves you so much. I can't wait to meet you. And it's not just me. You have so many people waiting for you to arrive. Your grandparents, your Aunt Zoey and Uncle Wyatt, your crazy Cousin Bucky, and many more friends of mommy and daddy's who will be your adopted aunts and uncles. You're going to love our family Kenzie, I promise."

Zed leaned down, pressing a gentle kiss to Addison's stomach. If someone had told him on his first day at Seabrooke that this would be his life, he would have told them that it sounded like a fantasy. And yet, here he was.

The bed shifted and the covers lifted as Addison's face came into view.

"Good morning."

"Morning Addy." Zed smiled. "Sorry if I woke you. I was trying to be careful."

Addison leaned in, giving him a quick peck on the lips before pulling awake. "It's okay. I woke up the moment you started stirring. It was worth it to hear you talking to Kenzie though. Your little speech was very sweet."

Zed pushed a stray lock of hair out of her face. "I was just stating the facts. I can't wait until she's finally with us on the outside."

"Me either." Addison agreed. "But you know that means even less sleep, right?"

Zed chuckled, wrapping his arm around her and pulling her close. "I know, but it will be totally worth it."

Addison relaxed against his chest, his warmth engulfing her in a feeling of safety and calm. She could stay like this for hours, but alas all good things must come to an end.

"Nooooo. Staaayyy." Zed whined as she wiggled free of his grasp and pushed herself up to see the alarm clock on their bedside table.

"We need to get up Zed." Addison sighed. "You have physical therapy at 8:30am. It's a little after 7 now."

Zed sighed, pushing himself up. "Fine, but I want snuggles when we get back."

Addison wrapped her arms around his torso, leaning against him. "You can have all the snuggles you want when we get home, I promise."

Zed smiled, pressing a kiss to the top of Addison's head before throwing off the covers and carefully maneuvering himself into his wheelchair.

Behind him, Addison carefully slid out of bed and made her way to her closet. She grabbed a few items before gesturing to the door. "Let's go."

The two of them made their way down the hall to the stairs and Zed sighed as he maneuvered himself into the lift that would take him down. As the chair slowly made it's way down, he couldn't help but feel like the little old man from UP.

After what felt like an eternity Zed made it to the bottom and moved himself into the wheelchair that was sitting in place ready and waiting for him. Addison joined him a moment later and the two of them made their way into the kitchen to make breakfast.

Time Skip brought to you by Wynter tackling Zed 🧟‍♂️🐺

Addison grabbed her keys and purse as they made their way out the door for Zed's appointment. Zed rolled down the ramp, opening his door and climbing into the car before Addison finished locking the door.