54. i want you forever

"marry me."

those two words were enough to cause nini's eyes to open wide without a second thought, exhaustion and the need of sleep fading away in a rapid fire as she just froze in her position.

ricky felt his heart stop at the fact that he just said that, not hearing or sensing anything from her end which made him nervous...a part of him hoped she just didn't hear him...because if she did, there was no going back from the outcome.

he looked down at the top of her head resting on his chest, not seeing nini's mouth parted open in surprise and not knowing how she could hear his heart rate speeding up with every second.

nini lifted her head slowly, swallowing nervously as she tucked her loose strands of her tied-up hair behind her ears for her eyes to meet ricky's.

the curly-haired boy sat up nervously, turning the lamp on and he felt slightly disheartened to see a shocked and blank expression upon her face.

nini's lips trembled slightly as she cleared her throat and closed her eyes, bringing her hand up to her forehead "i-i'm-maybe i'm-tired-or it's the me being half asleep but-um...w-what-what did you j-just say??"

ricky swallowed and let out short breaths as he looked back at her "i-i said...marry me..." he mumbled the last part weakly, looking down

nini parted her lips in surprise. of course no matter how much they joked about it, or how much they were certain of the fact that they wanted to spend their lives together - it still didn't change the amount of shock nini felt inside. she didn't think it would happen now, right at this moment.

ricky sighed heavily as he tried to speak but nini cleared her throat "i-i need to-i need to stand up-"

"yeah...okay-"

nini shuffled off of the bed in her pajamas, bringing her nails up to her mouth to bite nervously as she started pacing around the room.

"neens-i-just forget i said anything..."

"why?" she asked suddenly, looking at him

ricky opened his mouth "b-because...you're freaking out-?"

"freaking out? i'm not freaked out-" she shot back defensively and shakily "i just-i didn't expect this. for-you to...propose...to me at-three in the morning. while i was going back to sleep-"

"it just came out, nini, i didn't-i couldn't stop myself." he said desperately, standing up to see her stood still across the room.

she kept her gaze on him as he ran his hands through his messy curls in frustration towards himself before he shook his head

"screw it." he muttered "i've been-thinking about how everything with us has just been...perfect. it all just falls perfectly into place. and i'm not just-asking that to make sure i don't lose you - i mean, i'll admit maybe it is one of the factors, but, the other ones? you're my best friend and i just...i want to see you every single morning when i wake up until the night when i'm about to fall asleep. you're my everything. i want how it's been forever. i want our every day to be forever. i-i just...i want you. forever."

he kept ahold of her tear-eyed gaze before he looked down, exhaling deeply as he closed his eyes. he didn't know what to expect. what if she says no? what if they're not on the same page? it made him have sudden doubts. what if he ruined everything? again?

nini felt a tear roll down her cheek as she quickly wiped it away and sniffled, taking a shaken breath before she slowly made her way towards him

it was silent as she walked slowly, every step made her heart beat quicker and ricky didn't have the courage to look up yet, still fiddling with his fingers as his gaze was glued to them.

she could see how he avoided her gaze when sensing her arriving closer and nini brought her hands up the sides of his face, lifting his head up slightly for their eyes to meet for one split second before he felt her smashing her lips onto his.

ricky felt his breath get taken away as he shut his eyes tightly, soon bringing his hands to the sides of her waist before nini soon pulled away for air, the two exhaling deeply.

he slowly opened his eyes to see her brown ones looking right at him and she only shook her head with a soft, lop-sided smile

"i want you forever too." she replied.

it was a quiet whisper that was only loud enough for ricky to hear when mere inches away from her; his response being exhaling a breath of relief as he pressed her forehead against hers before bringing his fingers underneath her chin to connect their lips once more.

of course she wanted him like he did. there was no question. when she overcame the suddenness of his statement, she knew that she wanted him forever. he was everything to her, she loved every possibility of a future with him, she loved being with him everyday, waking up to see him. she loved him. so much that not having him in the way they want would consume everything good inside of her.

when they pulled apart once more, they both stood there in each other's arms for a few seconds before nini gasped

"can we get a dog?" she asked giddily, wrapping her arms around ricky's neck as she pulled her head back

ricky chuckled breathlessly "one step at a time, angel."

nini shrugged her shoulders with a wide smile "let's get a dog."

"whatever you want." he whispered

"oh! and a hamster!" she grinned

ricky shook his head with a smile as he returned her gaze "you're more excited for the animals we could potentially get than the thought of being my wife."

nini giggled "it's what they represent."

"and what's that?" he hummed

the girl sighed happily as she fiddled with her thumbs behind her neck "it's just us two. together. forever."

ricky brought her into a hug, burying his face in the crook over her neck before resting his chin on top, "yeah. it is." he whispered