59. goodbyes

"neens?" gina called, knocking on the door "hello?"

gina bit the inside of her cheek as she took out a key that nini had given her before unlocking the door and entering inside "you home??"

with silence as her reply, she walked around the living room to try and search for any sign of nini being home but there wasn't any.

"he-gina???"

the sound of his voice made gina swiftly turned around seeing ej standing there, the boy with his eyes wide and eyebrows raised as she opened her mouth

"ej-"

"gina..."

"hi."

"hey."

they both stood there in slight shock and gina looked around her "um-what-what are you doing here??"

"nini invited me..."

gina let out a scoff, shaking her head with a heavy breath "she did, did she?"

when the sudden realization hit him, ej opened his mouth "oh...she...she's not here..."

gina shook her head with a sigh "nope. no she is not."

they both stood there in an awkward silence, gina adjusting her bag as she exhaled slowly and avoided his gaze

"um...i should-i'm gonna go..." she muttered, making her way towards the door but ej quickly stood in front of her

"d-dani and i broke up..." he blurted out in a small voice

gina froze in her tracks, her eyes moving to his in surprise "w-what?"

"dani..." he said slowly "she...she broke up with me."

gina blinked a few times "oh...u-uhm...i-wow...i-i'm sorry..."

ej shrugged his shoulders "she...she did it because...of something."

gina nodded slowly "okay...?"

"look, i'm not-i don't want to make things difficult with you or confuse you." he began "and i know what i did really sucks and you said you were letting go-but-that's not the point-"

"what is the point?" gina asked, furrowing her brows together as she folded her arms

ej looked back at her and swallowed "i'm-i'm not ready for you to let go. i'm-not ready to let go myself..."

gina's mouth parted as a breath left her and she clenched her jaw, shaking her head "no, ej..."

"gina-"

"you owe it to me to let me move on, you owe me at least that!" she exclaimed "you-"

"i know!" ej replied "i know that-i just-i can't lie to you-"

"if i hear you say that one more time, i might just throw something at you. and aim better this time." gina told him sharply before sighing "you were with dani for three years, you guys break up and you don't wait what? two seconds until you come onto someone else?! no-wait it's worse seeing as i'm the girl you cheated on with dani-"

"i know the situation sucks-"

"it doesn't just suck! it's literally invaded my entire life for three years." gina snapped "i deserve the closure i was planning on getting-"

"you also deserve the truth-"

"again with that!" she groaned in frustration "again with this 'i deserve the truth' bullshit! i deserved a boyfriend who would love me. love me enough to not go sleeping with the next pretty girl he sees. enough to not go running at her when i left. you know what you problem is ej? you're scared of being alone! you're-you don't ever think of maybe having time by yourself to think about how you treat others!"

ej looked at her his eyes red as she was fuming with hers glazing with tears

"i've changed gi." he whispered "i really have-i'm-i still love you."

gina's breath got caught in her throat as she gazed at him, tears brimming her eyes as one escaped, strolling down her cheek

"p-please don't say that..." she mumbled weakly

ej shuddered a breath "i love you." he whispered

gina sniffled, shaking her head as she looked down

"i know-you hate me. especially after what i did. i wasn't fair to you. i wasn't even fair to dani. i-i don't know what i was trying to achieve. but-i-i can't keep denying my feelings for you anymore." he told her "if you want to move on. if you want to-to let this go. once and for all-and-and never see me again, i'll do that. i'll let you be. but you have to look me in the eyes and tell me that."

gina let a few tears fall from her eyes, mustering up the courage to look back at him. his eyes were shining with his own tears and he looked back at her anxiously, waiting for her reply.

she shakily exhaled, adjusting her bag strap once more "goodbye ej."

the boy felt his heart break at that, his fiddling hands dropping to his side as he let her pass by him, leaving him alone before he pressed his back against the door frame, closing his eyes as a few more tears fell from his eyes.