home (sr)

📀 Die a Happy Man by Thomas Rhett

You and Spencer had just finished working a case that was hitting incredibly close to home for you, and your husband, Spencer.

Ten year old boys were disappearing off the Appalachian trail, and their bodies turned up years later after some hikers discovered them. They'd been raped repeatedly before eventually being killed. You couldn't imagine a human being able to do that to a child, it disgusted you, it enraged you.

Spencer had been working at the station the past couple days, developing a geographical profile while you were out in the field with Aaron. You'd been the one to bring one of the missing boy's little sister's back to her parents. You'd hoped that the team would be able to reunite the missing boy with his family, too. After nearly two weeks, you did.

"How often do we get to see this?" Hotch asked as the two of you watched the parents reunite with their child, with warm hugs, kisses, and many tears of joy.

"Not enough, that's for sure." You said, swiping a tear from underneath your eye, "all I want to do is go home and see my little boy." You admitted, you felt a hand on your shoulder, and turned around to see your husband. He gave you small smile before snaking his arm around your waist.

"I spoke to your sister, she's going to keep him up for us." Spencer said, you smiled before wrapping your arms around him.

"Does this horrible feeling I have ever go away when working on cases with children?" You ask Hotch, he looks at you for a moment before shaking his head. He'd been doing this parent thing a lot longer than you and Spence.

"I wish I could say it does. You'll always worry about him, you just have to trust that he's at home, and safe." He pauses, "all you'll want to do is squeeze them, and smother them with kisses but the feeling never goes away, it's apart of parenting." Hotch finishes shooting you a small smile, rubbing your shoulder.

——————

The flight home is short, and you spend most of it with your head on Spencer's shoulder while he reads one of the many books he'd slipped in his go back for the flight.

When Spencer pulls into the driveway you waste no time heading into your house. Every light in the house is on, toys are scattered over the living room but you'd have it no other way. Spencer walks in behind you, closing the door, setting your go bags filled with dirty clothes on the floor next to the couches.

"Mama!" You hear your favorite little boy shout before running full speed at your shins. You get down on your knees so you're almost at his height.

"Jace, how are you my sweet boy?" You say calling him by his nickname, ruffling your hand through his messy brown hair.

"Good, can you stop hugging me so tight, mommy?" He says in his little voice, you laugh letting your tight hold up. Spencer is squatting down next to you, waiting on his turn for kisses and hugs.