legend has it (mgg)

📀 Take Me Home, Country Roads by John Denver

Every year around Labor Day, your entire family gathers at their cabin in the Appalachian mountains. It's deep in the heart of southern West Virginia, just on the outskirts of a little railroad & coal mining town. Be careful, because if you blink, you'll miss the whole town.

Nearly every holiday, summer, and birthday was spent there in the mountains. The cabin used to be your grandparent's first home, then that eventually became your parent's first home after they married, but now it's strictly a vacation home. It's undergone many renovations since your grandparent's time though, it's practically a new house now. There's been rooms added, new ceilings, new decks. A couple years ago your parents had a little tiny guest house built out by the river for extra visitors, and you got to decorate it.

Like every year, your mother had invited everyone in the family that she could, including yourself and boyfriend Matthew. You couldn't wait to take him to where you'd grown up.

"Do we have everything?" You ask climbing in the passenger seat, about to buckle your seat belt. Matthew rests his hand on the leather console, looking up as if he's thinking.

"Yeah, I think so." He says honestly, "I feel like I'm forgetting something though," he says running back through his check list in his mind.

"Me too, did we turn the coffee pot off, the tv?" He nods."Did you pack everything we bought at Cabela's last night?" You ask.

You had decided to take Matthew last minute shopping last night. He'd yet to spent a weekend out in the wilderness with your family, and when he showed you what he packed- you couldn't help but giggle.

"What? Why are you laughing?" He says with his hands on his hips. "It's just- this is all too nice, it's going to get destroyed." You admitted to the man standing in front of you.

"Where the hell are we going?" He chuckles as you pull him into a embrace, kissing his face softly.

"The middle of bum fuck nowhere. It's muddy, and humid and-"

"Alrighty then, what am I supposed to wear?" Matthew cuts you off looking down at his suitcase.

"Come on, I'll sugar momma you." You say grabbing his hand leading him out of your shared bedroom to the car.

The two of you ended up racking up a big bill at the sporting goods store. You wanted to make sure he'd be completely comfortable no matter the activity your family would be doing this weekend.

"The crocs." He snaps before pointing at you, finally remembering what he'd forgotten.

"How could you forget the crocs?" You joke throwing up your hands as he runs back inside to get the rubber shoes. He tossed the box into the back seat, buckled up, and pulled out into the road. "Okay, now we're ready to roll." He says excitedly earning a small giggle from you.