sparks fly (mgg)

📀 All Summer Long by Kid Rock

There was no better place to spent the Fourth of July than on Lake Michigan.

Ever since you were a little girl, your grandparents, along with your parents, rented a little lakeside beach house in Northern Michigan. Every fourth all your aunts, uncles, and many cousins would travel from wherever they resided to reunite. It was a weekend of nothing but drinking, swimming, barbecuing, and fireworks on the lake.

Matthew had only been to the lake house once, only for a night, as he had filming duties to attend to in New York that same weekend.

Although his first stay was short, it was a memorable night to say the least. While everyone was preoccupied with the annual firework show, you and Matthew had snuck off onto the beach. The two of you had mischievously tore off your clothing, leaving it on the sand as you jumped into the water, nude. It was all fun and games and giggles until your mother accidentally stumbled upon the two of you making out, naked, in shallow waves. Matthew felt awful about the whole ordeal, he must've apologized twenty times before going to bed that night. Your mother couldn't help but laugh after the fact, but in the moment she was just as embarrassed as the two of you. 

Flash forward a couple of years later, the two of you are no where near as wild as skinny dipping in Lake Michigan. The craziest thing you guys do now is staying up past eleven o'clock.

——

The car was loaded down with everything needed for the long weekend. A beach bag had been packed with sunscreen, tanning oil, towels, sunglasses, and even books. Matthew's brown leather duffle was packed, resting next to yours in the car, too. Vacationing with Matthew was something that was so rare but that you adored.

"Ready to go?" Matthew asked, handing you an iced coffee he'd made you. "Yes, thank you." You said kissing his cheek before getting into your car.

The drive up north was a blast just as any road trip had previously been with Matthew.

He'd play an old James Taylor song and then you'd play Taylor Swift. Matthew hadn't expected anything different, turning his head for little moments to admire you singing. You had a good singing voice, he didn't what-so-ever.

His large hand would rest against your bare thigh, squeezing at times, rubbing the soft skin with the pad of his thumb at other times. "You're beautiful, you know that?" Matthew spoke, his eyes sparkling as he said it. You tilted your head to observe your boyfriend.

"Gube, flattery will get you everywhere with me." You'd replied, and he bit his bottom lip slightly. "I might have to remember that, for later." He winked, earning a small giggle and shaking of the head from you.

"You're too much." The giggles from you continued, as you skipped to the next song.

——

When you arrived at the beach house, everyone had already trickled in. The cousins were already claiming their rooms and fighting over who got top bunk or bottom bunk. You were grateful to not be apart of that arguing this year. Instead of staying with all of your family in a jam packed house, Matthew had rented the cabin directly next to your parents. It was just a couple hundred yards down, sharing the same stretch of beach.