bejeweled (mgg)

New Year's Eve

New Year's Eve. A time of year everyone feels pressure to go out, party, and drink. It's never been your thing to go out, and spend your first day of a new year hung over and feeling like shit. It's always been a stay in, gorge on junk food (eat better in the new year, of course), and self care.

This year was no different, and this year Matthew was able to spend it at home with you.

You'd spent your long weekend off from work deep cleaning the house. Everything from new sheets in the bedroom, to the bathroom, to decluttering mugs in the kitchen and clothes in the closet. When New Year's Eve rolled around you and Matthew had cleaned every itch of your shared home.

"So, how are feeling about dinner? I'm starving." Matthew asked, slouching back on the couch.

"Hmm..." you trailed off, setting your kindle on your lap. "How do you feel about street tacos from Amaya's?" you asked Matthew.

"You know how I feel about tacos." Matthew said picking up the phone and calling in a take out order at your favorite restaurant. He placed an order of chicken street tacos, esquites, and chips and cheese.

———-

Once you'd finished smashing on tacos and queso, the two of you made a second round of margaritas and put a playlist on while you cleaned up the mess you'd made.

Matthew thought it'd be fun to play board games, and you thought it essential to do it in face masks. In the bathroom, on the edge of the tub you painted Matthew's face in a thick clay. You did the same for yourself except under your eyes you played sparkle my pink hydrogel makes.

"How do I look?" you asked Matthew, hands on your pajama clad hips, making a kissy face to him.

"Perfect." He smiled pressing a kiss to your lips. He held you there for a minute, kissing you and then down your neck.

"Babe!" you screeched, he'd gotten some of the clay mask from his face onto your neck. "Sorry!" He said as he chased you back into the kitchen where Monopoly was laid out on the kitchen island.

"Where were we?" He says picking up the dice and rolling. He's very competitive when it comes to any board game but specifically Monopoly.

The music changes and you hear the 'sparkly' introduction to Taylor Swift's Bejeweled. You squeal of excitement and stand up from your barstool immediately strutting through the kitchen to the song.

Matthew giggles as you grab a wooden spoon from the utensil jar on the counter and use it as your very own microphone. "Oh yeah, okay." Matthew claps, hyping you up with the hint of laughter in his voice.

"and I miss you but, I miss sparkling. NICE!
Best believe I'm still bejeweled when I walk in the room I can still make the whole place," you do the dramatic spin that was trending on TikTok for the longest time, and wiggle your fingers, "Shimmer!"

Matthew laughs deeply at your antics, still clapping to the beat of the music while you sing, spinning around in your slippers.

"And when I meet the band, they ask 'do you have a man' I can still say 'I don't remember'!" you tap your head and continue dancing, grabbing Matthew's hands and pulling him in. "You definitely can't say that." He smirks as he starts kissing your face. His face mask now dry, not transferring to your skin.

"Nice!" you slid away from him and start singing into your spoon again.

"How was it?" You fall into Matthew's lap, breathless from all the dancing you did.

"We're signing you up to be a backup dancer for the Eras tour ASAP." He jokes, holding you against him tightly.

The rest of the evening is spent on the couch, watching the horrible cheesy New Year's Eve programs waiting for Midnight. You find yourself humming along to Sabrina Carpenter's performance while Matthew shakes his head in amusement.

With ten seconds to spare of 2023, you and Matthew stand as you watch the clock in New York City start counting back. "5, 4, 3, 2" Matthew grabs your face and crashes his lips into your own. You can feel him smile into the kiss. Not a little smile, a wide grin.

"Happy New Year, baby." He says, resting his forehead on your own. "Happy New Year, my love." you say kissing him again and again as you watch the confetti fall to the floor in NYC.