you are my sunshine (mgg)

It'd been a very long week and when Friday night arrived all you wanted to do was go home, shower, and cuddle with your husband, Matthew

It'd been a very long week and when Friday night arrived all you wanted to do was go home, shower, and cuddle with your husband, Matthew. However, Matthew had already warned you that he'd be coming home later than usual. He wanted to stay at work a more with his co-producer and work on a few things.

You opted out of a big dinner and settled for a couple sushi rolls from your favorite sushi bar in the city for dinner.

You decided that since Matthew wasn't home you'd tidy up a bit and indulge in a little bit of self care. The shower you took was warm, and long. You took this alone time to exfoliate, shave, and wash your hair. Usually, you'd end up in the shower with your husband before your work days and they were quick so it was nice to just stand under the hot water.

Once you'd changed into a comfy pair of biker shorts and an oversized tee, you headed into Matthew's 'office'. The two of you designed and decorated it together when you first built the house. In his office resides your beloved record player, it's just a vintage Victrola stand up. Next to it is a shelf of vinyl you and Matthew have collected over the years.

His were mostly James Taylor vinyls that had been played over and over again. You'd often find him listening to them whenever he was drawing, or painting. Yours on the other hand ranged from Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, and Dolly Parton to Fleetwood Mac, Billy Joel and Queen.

Tonight; however, was a Johnny Cash night. You tore the vinyl from the shrink wrap from one of your favorite albums and dropped the needle on Cash Unearthed before sitting down on the couch.

You must've been so lost in thought and music that you didn't even hear Matthew come into the room.

"Rough day?" He asked as he approached you.

You got up off the couch and wrapped you arms around your husband, he held you tight. "How'd you know?"

"You only listen to Johnny Cash when you're having a rough day." He concluded, and you chuckled looking at the stack of vinyl you'd intended to play tonight. "Wanna talk about it?" He asked, you shook your head. Nothing had really happened, it was just one of those days.

"I guess it's a pick me up." You admitted as Matthew sat next to you on the comfy grey couch. "How was your day?"

"Long," he hummed as he laid back and you rested your head on his shoulder as you brought your knees closer to his chest. "Better now, though." He said kissing the top of your head.

The two of you sat on the couch in a comfortable silence expect for a few hums here and there. A familiar strumming occurred and you immediately smiled wide.

"Come here." Matthew said standing up, holding out his hand for you to take.

You stood up and joined him in the middle of his office. He immediately placed a hand on your waist, snaking his arm around your back to pull you close. His eyes poured into your own as the deep baritone voice that is Johnny Cash sang through the speakers of your record player.

The other night, dear
As I lay sleeping
I dreamed I held you, in my arms
When I awoke, dear
I was mistaken
So I hung my head and I cried

You rested your head against Matthew's chest as he rested his chin atop your head as you swayed. His chest vibrated as he started to horribly sing,

You are my sunshine
My only sunshine
You make me happy
When skies are gray
You'll never know, dear
How much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away

For what seemed like the first time all day, you smiled wide. He was never good at singing, but you always found yourself admiring him when he did.

When the last chorus found it's way back, you found yourself looking up at Matthew and singing with him. He smiled before he leaned down and kissed your lips softly.

"I love you, and your obsession with Johnny Cash." He admitted with a chuckle as his face rested against your hair in another hug.

"Good, 'cause I don't think I would've married you if you didn't support it." Matthew smiled wide as he laughed under his breath.

"Mm. Precisely." He hummed before spinning you around before bringing your back to his chest.

And suddenly, your day wasn't so awful anymore.