cold (mgg)

If there was anything you absolutely hated, it was the feeling of being sick

If there was anything you absolutely hated, it was the feeling of being sick. It happened to be the second day of your cold like symptoms. Last night you'd went to bed with a sore throat and this morning you woke up congested, with a severe ear ache, and a headache.

You were never really super clingy with Matthew. In fact, it was usually the other way around. When he awoke up to your warm body clinging to his he knew something was up.

"Honey, are you okay?" Matthew asked, sleep ridden in his voice.

"I think I'm sick," you sniffled as you buried your face further into Matthew's sweatshirt clad chest.

He kissed your forehead softly to gauge your temperature. His pink, soft lips met with the skin of your forehead. "You are burning up." He states softly before crawling out of bed.

Matthew walks into your bathroom where the two of you keep your first aid supplies and medications. He returns with a thermometer, "open up." He said prompting you to open your mouth.

You groan but eventually open your mouth so he can stick the device under your tongue. You hold it there for a few seconds, and when it finally beeps he pulls it from under your tongue.

"Yup, one hundred point one." He hums, throwing the thermometer back into the box after cleaning it. "What do you feel like?" He asks softly.

"My throat, and my head hurt, and my ear. It's awful, babe." You sigh falling back into your pile of pillows.

Matthew rummages through the box and let's out a quick "aha gotcha" as he locates some medication. He pops out two little orange liquid gel pills, "Here this is DayQuil, it'll help." Matthew says handing you the pills and your cup of water from the nightstand.

"Thank you," you manage to get out before coughing out. "I love you."

"I love you too." He says softly, looking at you. He knows you didn't get any rest last night. You tossed and turned into your sleep all night, and there's dark circles under your eyes to mirror his. "Is there anything I can get you? Are you hungry? Thirsty?"

You shake your head, and pull him into your arms back on the bed, "just you". He obliges. When he's sick he's the biggest baby about it, and you basically have to cuddle him every minute of the day. Now that your sick, you expect the same in return.

A little while later, you finally feel the medicine start to kick in, and you break your latest fever in a sweat.

"You were sweating so bad." He acknowledges, and you nod in return.

"Yeah, I feel gross." You state, watching your intertwined hands. "Think a shower will help me feel better."

"A hot one would certainly help the congestion." Matthew suggests and you nod, sitting up slowly. When you sit up there's the familiar feeling of a head cold, you're dizzy and hot.

Matthew helps you out of bed and leads you into your bathroom. "I'll be right back." He states before walking out to retrieve a pair of clean pajamas, and a pair of mismatched fuzzy socks.

Carefully, your husband helps you out of your current clothes that consists of work out shorts and a oversized Metallica tee. He's turned on the water, the steam already overtaking the room. "Can you come in with me?" You ask, your throat hurting just to ask that. He nods.

Once you've stepped in, you immediately step into the water letting it fall down onto your chest, and your face. It feels good and you can already tell that the temperature of the water is helping you breathe deeper.

Matthew steps in a few moments after you, and you share the water with him. "Feels good." You hum before leaning into his chest. He runs his fingers down your wet hair and holds you close to him. He rests his chin atop your head.

"Good, good." He says softly.

After basking in the warmth for a few minutes, you start to carry out your normal shower routine. Matthew helps you wash your hair with your favorite shampoo and conditioner. You dispense some of your lavender scented body wash onto a loofah and begin to rub it around your skin.

"Let me." Matthew states, running the loofah around your body carefully. Once the water rinses off, he leans down and presses a kiss to your shoulder.

It's moments like this, intimacy like this, when you know exactly why you married him. The way he's so gentle, so carrying, and the way he looks so good doing it.

"Matthew?"

"Yes, darling." He says making sure that he's rinsed off from you insisting to wash his curly hair too.

"Thank you."

"In sickness and in health, remember baby?" He mumbles placing a hand on either side of your face. "Mhm." You mumble and he kisses your forehead before you lean into his chest again.

———-