Chapter 16

Naruto was still in shock, even as Deidara ushered him to the car. It was only about 5 minutes into the drive to the hospital that Naruto snapped out of it. He looked around wildly before his eyes landed on Deidara. The blonde was calmly driving, eyes focused on the road. It would seem like the news had no effect on him except Naruto noticed his knuckles turning white from how hard his fingers were clenching the wheel.

"Wh-what happened?!" Naruto practically screeched.

The sudden noise startled Deidara and his eyes widened as he glanced at Naruto and then back to the road. "Sasuke went to the emergency room."

Naruto groaned, he pulled at his hair as he felt more frustrated. "No! I mean what happened to him!"

"I don't know-"

Naruto cut him off. "What do you mean you don't know?!"

Deidara frowned at the younger blonde's attitude but stayed silent on the matter. "I mean, un, that I don't know. Itachi kept it very brief, un. He only told me that Sasuke had to be rushed to the emergency room and that I should get us there as soon as possible, un."

"Oh my god." Naruto's eyes widened as he stared at his lap. The only thing running through his head was a lifeless Sasuke, lying in a dark, hospital room. The image would not go away in his head and soon, Naruto began to cry hysterically, sobbing loudly as he held his head in his hands.

Deidara gave him a sympathetic look, but otherwise stayed silent. He was unsure of how to make him feel better. He could only imagine the pain he was feeling, and not wanting to give him false hope, he refused to say the raven would be fine, not knowing any details. He kept his eyes on the road, and got them to the hospital shortly.

"Are you ready to go in?" Deidara asked after parking the car and turning it off.

Naruto shook his head as tears still were steadily falling. "I-i need a quick minute."

"Of course, un." Deidara gave him a small smile and as best as he could, wrapped Naruto into a hug.

Naruto shortly pulled away, wiping at his eyes, getting rid of any evidence of his crying. "Okay, I'm ready."

Deidara nodded and the two got out of the car and made their way to the hospital lobby. They reached the waiting area where Itachi was sitting in one of the chairs.

The raven was sitting still, his gaze was straight-forward, and he was unmoving. His hands were clasped underneath his chin, looking almost thoughtful.

As soon as Naruto spotted the older Uchiha, he made a beeline for him, despite his heavy stomach slowing him down. He stopped breathless in front of him, panting heavily. He rested his hands on his knees and kept taking deep breaths, trying to regain the ability to talk.

Itachi was suddenly shaken out of his thoughts as Naruto found new energy and began shaking him violently, asking him what happened over and over. Itachi carefully grabbed Naruto's wrist, stopping him from shaking him further. He looked into pleading blue eyes and gave him a concerned look. "I don't know, what minute he was fine, we had a meeting to get to and he was fine getting there."

Deidara finally made it over to them and he stood next to Naruto, placing his hands on his shoulders and giving a light squeeze. "S-so what happened next?"

"Well we got there a little early and were going over what was going to be discussed when Sasuke mentions he was feeling a little dizzy and was going to grab a glass of water. Juugo walked in at that moment and right as Sasuke was going to pass him to leave, he passed out. Juugo caught him before he could hit the floor. The rest of the team walked in shortly after and we were all trying to get him to wake up but he wouldn't respond."