Chapter Twenty Seven

As we sit in comfortable silence on our way to a cabin Noah didn't want to overwhelm me with the police, his mom and Lacey. It was too much for Noah also, having to be reminded of the horror.

So he suggested a hotel to spend a night in before we face reality. We both just wanted one night together where we could be normal selfless teens before the trial, the questions and the pain.

The cabin belonged to Lacey's family, Noah had called her before we departed Brandon's asking for help with what we both wanted, needed.
We had picked up the keys from Lacey, I sat in the car while Noah went in. I didn't mean to be rude not seeing her but at the time.. I didn't feel exactly ready.
Although I couldn't imagine how Lacey is feeling, John had disguised himself as a loving man, spoiled her. And yet the man she thought she knew, thought she loved.. turned out to be a monster. I saw history repeat itself.. from my mother to Lacey.
I could imagine how betrayed she feels, the fear she has now.

"You hungry?" Noah blurts out, pulling me out of my overweighting thoughts.

"Not really but I could go for an-

"Ice cream?" He chuckles, finishing off my sentence.

"Great minds think alike" I giggle.

"We'll stop and get some food for the cabin"

With that being said, Noah finds the closet supermarket before parking.

"You want to come in?"

"Actually... can we just go to the cabin and order from there?"

"Really Cas, you say that once we pull up?" he sighs

"My bad?" I shrug my shoulders.

There was only one thing stopping me from being in the face of public.. the fear that my story had got out. But he knows, I know he knows.

John is important, which means everyone knows him. My case being out could possibly mean it's on the news, or the paper.

This town lives of gossip and drama so there's that too.

John was talked about in the news usually so, something this... it's just fucked. I don't want to be seen like that, seen as the girl who was abused or the girl who's crying wolf. I didn't check & Noah hasn't either cause I'm too scared too know.

"You're lucky I love you" he whispers before putting his seatbelt on before driving towards our destination.

I smile away from his view, pretending I don't hear him.

***

Noah:

I find myself lost at what to say to her at times but having to be away from everyone just for one night is a relief.

Yeah we're going to have to deal with everything but right now I just want Cassie to feel safe and for us to have some time together before everything.
She's sitting in my passengers seat, staring out the window watching the trees, and sky as we past them.
She's at peace right now, Most beautiful thing I've ever witnessed.

She's so fascinated with outside that she doesn't seem to be upset, and that's what I want for her right now, to feel happy. I missed her, he scent, her laugh.. the way she annoyed me all the damn time.