Chapter 2

"Don't say a word or I'll kill you." The deep voice whispers in my ear as the dagger gets pressed deeper into my neck, though still not enough to draw blood.

If I could, I would be laughing at this fucker right now, but I can't because any sudden movement will most likely kill me, so I just roll my eyes. I bring my elbow forward and back as hard as I can, elbowing them right in the stomach. Their hold on me releases immediately and I use the chance to spin around and quickly punch him square on the nose.

I take a second to look at the person who was doing a very bad job of trying to kill me and see a head of short, curly brown hair.

My brother's head lifts up and his white eyes look at me, a look of pain in them. "What the fuck Mikaia!" he holds one hand crossed over his stomach and the other up to cover his now bleeding nose.

"What the fuck me? What the fuck you! You just pretended to kill me!" I shout at him, furious he would even attempt something like this. Like what did he even expect. I'm a fucking assassin for a living, he would never be able to kill me the dumb bitch.

"What the fuck!" I hear a younger voice scream and my head snaps over to Nic's left and I see that the angel is sitting down on the carpet to his left. She is no longer in the dirty white dress I found her in, rather a light blue dress that finishes just above her knees and matches perfectly with her eyes.

"Don't say that!" Nic and I scold her at the same time. Nic then looks up at me with a guilty look, clearly ashamed that he had taught her a bad word.

Well I'm definitely not going to tell him she heard me say it first.

I walk over to the girl and sit on the carpet next to her. "What's your name?" I ask her gently.

"I'm Haevyn." She says to me in a chirpy voice, her eyes, a light blue around the iris, fading to a crystal white around the outside - so similar to Nic's if it weren't for the blue tinge - are bright, despite what she must have suffered through before I found her.

"Well, hello, Haevyn," I say to her, "I'm Kaia, and this is my brother, Nic."

"We've already met." Nic states, giving her a wink which makes her giggle.

"Nicy cleaned me before." Haevyn says excitedly and looks from Nic to me, "He just snapped his fingers and poof, I was all clean! And my dress changed too, do you see it Kaia? It's BLUE!" She says as she hops up and starts jumping around my room.

This girl was certainly very hyper and careless. Though I guess it's a good thing, being too young to really understand the seriousness of what happened to her.

"Wow!" I tell her, putting my hands to my cheeks, "It looks beautiful!" Though her mood had suddenly changed. She was no longer smiling and admiring her dress, jumping around my room. She was just standing there, looking down at the carpet.

"The Light King killed my parents." Haevyn blurts out all of a sudden.

Oh. Well that was unexpected.

My eyes widen at the completely unexpected admission. I look over to Nic and see that he is just as surprised as I am, though he shakes his head and asks Haevyn, "What do you mean the Light King killed your parents Haevyn?"

She looks up at Nic and I can see the tears that are now running down her pale cheeks.

"Me, Mummy and Daddy were having a picnic next to a lake. Then all of a sudden there is a big light and a man is standing there." She says quietly between snuffles, "He tells my Mummy and Daddy to give me to him or he will kill them, but Daddy picks me up and tells him no."

She stops for a second, taking a deep breath in. "Then the King says something and a bright light shoots for my mummy and she falls to the ground. My daddy screams but the man just laughs. Then the man looks at me and daddy and a bright light shoots for him too and he falls to the ground."

I look up to Nic to see how he's taking this. He's never liked the King, ever since he had me trained to be an assassin. Ever since I came to his room crying after my first kill when I was seven.

"Daddy then tells me to fly. So I do." She sighs as she closes her eyes and a few seconds later her wings appear.

Her wings are beautiful. They were fairly large, covered with white feathers and they almost touched the ground when she was standing.

They're certainly quite large for a girl her size. She looks like she's about to fall over.

"I was flying really far away, and when I turned around, mummy and daddy were on the grass with no wings and they weren't moving."

She sits on my lap and I wrap my arms around her, pulling her into my chest, and then she continues, "The King cut my mummy and daddy's wings off." She sobs.

I look over to Nic with my eyes wide open.

He cut their wings off.

And right above his Throne like trophies are beautiful white angel wings.

I just thought they were decorations, I thought they were fake, but it makes sense for them to be her parent's.

I could tell Nic was fuming. I wouldn't be surprised if his face went red and steam started to come out of his ears.

Without a word to me, Nic opens my door and slams it shut. The noise of the old door slamming seems to snap Haevyn out of whatever state she's in because she looks up at me with wide eyes, tears streaming down her rosy cheeks, "Where is he going?" She asks me.

"I'm not sure Haev, but we should probably go get him before he does something stupid." I tell her, worried that Nic might actually do something that could get him in trouble. It certainly wouldn't be the first time.

I get up with Haevyn still in my arms, her wings making it a bit awkward, but I manage. Thankfully she's light enough that it's not too hard to walk with her.

I go to the door and reach down, turn the handle with one hand and then walk out, closing it behind me. I gently place her on the ground and her hand immediately finds mine, holding it in hers tightly.

We walk down the hallway as I try to think of where Nic could have gone.

We're still walking around aimlessly, looking for Nic, when Smith, one of the palace guards I'm friends with comes running towards me. When he's only a few meters away from me, he gives me a strange look. I guess I should expect a few strange looks walking around holding the hand of a baby angel.

"Kaia, you have to come quick," he tells me as he tries to catch his breath, "Nic just barged into the Throne Room and he looked angry."

"Fuck." I curse as I quickly start to pull some of Nic's magic to use it to sift.

"Thanks Smith." I salute him with two fingers to my forehead before I tighten my grip on Haevyn's hand and sift, straight in front of the shattered doors of the Throne Room.

My head was spinning for a second, my vision blurred from the sifting when I heard a scream come from Haevyn. She was holding onto my hand tighter, her eyes squeezing shut at the scene a seven year old should not ever have to witness.

My eyes widen in horror and I feel bile rise in my throat at the sight in front of me.

Nic was lying on the ground in a pool of his own blood, the Light Prince's sword protruding from his chest.

His chest that was no longer moving.

----

WORD COUNT - 1383

----

Okay sooo this chapter was a littleeeee bit shorter.

AND IF YOU LIKE LONG CHAPTERS I'M SORRY. I think the next chapter is longer though :)

ANYWAYS THANKYOU FOR READING BESTIES

I LOVE YOU <3 <3