Chapter 25

Kaia's POV

We're leaving for the Ball tomorrow and I couldn't be more nervous.

Of course I'll get to see all my friends again, but it's more the King I'm nervous to see.

It's not like I'm scared of him, because we all know I could beat him in a fight blindfolded with my hands tied together.

I just wonder how he will react to seeing me, let alone with his 'worst enemy'. No one says it outright, but everyone knows that the Dark and Light Fae have a century long feud. Though it's been so long that I don't even think that anyone remembers why the sides hate each other.

But then again, all species hate each other. Vampire and werewolves, Fae, Fae and vampires. Only the witches are neutral. And they're powerful and strong enough to not fall under any other supernaturals sway.

Of course it's comforting to know that walking in at Archyn's side will ensure my head stays intact for the majority of the evening, though accidents happen.

And I know that Archyn would not care if I were killed, though it would give him a good reason to start another war.

Hell, maybe that's why he's taking me with him.

I shouldn't even go to this stupid Ball.

But I want to.

I want to see my friends.

And who doesn't love an excuse to get dressed up in a beautiful ball gown and dance all night.

"You're going to wear a hole in the carpet if you pace any more." Nic says from where he sits on the edge of my bed.

"Maybe I shouldn't go." I tell him and he opens his mouth, "But I want to." I interrupt whatever he was going to say.

"Kaia, we get to see our friends again." He says as he stands up and walks towards me.

"Yes, I know that." I huff as he grabs both my hands in his, "But I killed the heir Nic. They have every right to kill me. I'm sure somewhere in whatever rulebook or treaty supernaturals have that says that no matter whom they're with, a killer of a royal must be killed."

I sigh and look up at him, "Even you Nic. Of course you didn't pull the killing blow, but you certainly started it. He has an excuse to kill you too."

"Kaia, relax." Nic tells me, "I won't be getting killed because they wouldn't risk it. Camrey's my Mate and she's a powerful ruler within the Dark Fae, they wouldn't get away with killing her Mate."

"I know, but still." I groan as I let go of his hands and walk over to my bed, flopping down on it, spreading out like a starfish.

"Haevyn's going to be here, and we both know Ryda won't let anything happen to her." I chuckle at that, I haven't seen Ryda leave her side at all. "And you're coming with Archyn, so no harm will come to you either. If it does, it'll start a war and it won't be one that they'll win."

"You're right." I sigh as I stare up at the ceiling.

"I always am." He replies and I can hear the smugness in his voice.

"Oh yeah? What about that time when-" I start and look at him but his head snaps to me.

"Okay maybe I'm not always right." He mumbles.

Yeah. Didn't think he'd want that brought up again.

Suddenly the door to my room slams open and Ti walks in, Ezra following behind him.

"Hello my dear friends!" Ezra says as he opens his arms out wide, yelling.

Ezra walks over to me still lying on the bed and jumps up onto it, nearly stepping on my leg.