Chapter 40

Mel and I walk through the halls of the vampire palace, trying to find someone. It's as if they all just disappeared.

"Where the heck did everyone go?" Mel asks as we turn another corner.

"I have no clue." I shrug.

We make our way through the halls when I freeze.

"What?" Mel, who's arm I nearly yanked out of its socket, asks me.

I put my finger to my lips, motioning for her to be quiet and she shuts her mouth, nodding her head.

"Voices." I whisper and then pull her along quietly, making our way towards the sound.

"What will she think of it though!" I hear a male voice yell, followed by a female voice, talking at the same level.

"I'm sure she'd be fine with it!"

"Why don't we just ask her." Another voice groans - Erik.

We creep up to a door where the voices are loudest and I push it open.

Inside the room is Erik, like I heard, Elenora, Oliver, Attikus and Zilani, as well as two other boys I don't know.

Well, I know of, I don't know them personally.

Because I can tell they're my other two brothers. They look very similar to the others.

"Kind of rude to have a family meeting without me." I say as I cross my arms over my chest and lean against the side of the door.

"Mum wants you to go back to the Dark Palace." Oliver says with a huff and I raise my eyebrows, the only sign of surprise I show.

"Because we need intel." Zilani says and the others - apart from Oliver - nod in agreement.

"If you two are going to take your rightful spot at the crown, we need to know what we're dealing with." The taller of the two brothers I don't know.

It's either Cayel or Dexter.

But by the nasty scar the talk brother has going from the corner of his right eye and diagonally down his cheek, he just gives me vibes of a Dexter.

The other one, a shorter, though still much taller than me, is blonde, different to the brunette beside him.

"What do you mean by 'need to know what we're dealing with'." I ask them and Dexter nods.

"Well, the only way to take the crown from Archyn-" He spits his name like it's ash on his tongue "is to either kill him-"

"I'll kill him." I say standing up straight.

Oliver growls but Dexter smirks. "I told you she'd do it. It's the scars on the faces, it makes us alike." He says as he smirks at me.

"Dexter shut up." Oliver snaps, clearly angry at the situation. "She just got back and now you all want to send her away again?"

"It's not like that Oliver, and you know that." Elenora says sternly from where she's sitting on a black chair behind a wooden desk.

"That's exactly what it looks like!" Oliver shouts angrily, "Why are we putting her in danger again? She spent 20 fucking years alone, without her family, and now we're going to say god fucking bye and send her into the lions den? In case you guys have fucking forgotten, but Archyn is the reason there's a fucking bounty on her head."

The room is silent after Oliver's outburst and so decide to break it.

"I'll kill him." I tell the room before turning on my heel and walking out of the room.