Chapter 1 : Friends

Jaane woh kaisi hogi re

At the residence of  Mr. & Mrs. Patel :

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Sharanya asked her best friend Gargi, who was possibly the only person she loved spending time with. 

"I ... actually me and Arun have someone in mind who would be a good match for you, marriage, I mean." Gargi muttered, only to receive a roll of eyes from her husband Arun Patel. 

"Arun, what has Gargi had today... she's behaving strangely." Sharanya muttered flipping through the magazine. 

"Okay, let me rephrase..." Arun spoke coming to his dear wife's rescue. "So Gargi and I were discussing a few single people... men ... we know to find someone who'd probably be a fitting match for you. We have arrived at one such person."

Sharanya sighed and looked up at the husband-wife duo. "Again?"

"Last time we found him online that's why things went south. This time it's someone we know... as a matter of fact Arun knows him well. It's his friend from college."

"Okay, stop." Sharanya exclaimed. "I told you I am not interested in a marriage. Why don't you listen to me?" She snapped at Gargi.

"I will let the two of you talk." Arun spoke clearing his throat and made a beeline for the door. The shutting of the door echoed in the suddenly silent room.

"Sharanya.."

"No." 

"At least, listen to me."

Sharanya looked at her bestie, pointedly, she sat cross-legged on the comfortable couch. "No, you listen to me. I am really not interested in a marriage. Last month, you sent me on that bind date... I thought you did it for fun. And I... played along, for once. But I made it pretty clear that I am not interested in any sort of relationship right now. What's worse is that you're involving Arun too into this now! Just to remind you, I have never, not in the wildest dream, appointed you as my agent to find dates and grooms and whatever!" 

She took a deep breath after yelling all that out.

Gargi sat down on the table facing her friend. "Done? Or you still have more material to yell?"

Sharanya looked away inhaling sharply.  Gargi was probably the only human who cared for her way more than anyone else. She was closer to Gargi than her own siblings. However, she somehow always ended up venting out her anger in the rudest way on her. 

"Sorry, I didn't mean to..." Sharanya said softly looking at her friend apologetically.

"It's okay, I am used to it." Gargi muttered. "Can I talk?"

Getting no answer at all, Gargi took the green signal and began. "Sharanya... I have known you for over ten years. I don't know where is that stupid girl who discussed everything from earrings to the heels, from flowers to movies... from fairytale to romantic movies with me. It's like she's gone. That girl who was like me. Every alternate Sunday you come here to spend time with me... I don't think you come here for me. You come here to find that Sharanya too."

"Gargi... where's this going? what are you trying to say?" Sharanya asked exasperated.

"Don't make it sound like I have gone bonkers, okay? You are understanding every word I am saying. Sharanya, I know you love your family. But do you realize over investing yourself in anyone is harmful. Ever since aunty left, uncle retired... there's been so much going on in your family. And you've become that trunk of the tree. Their support system, their fire brigade. But do you realize that you've lost yourself in all of it?"