Chapter 21 : Day One

Very, very long chapter ahead! I hope you enjoy reading it. :)

Happy reading :)

- - - - ♡ - - - -

inn lamhon ke daaman mein, pakheeza se rishte hain

- - - - ♡ - - - -

Waking up was like a major reality check for Sharanya. The room was lit up by the light came in through the openings between the curtains. The other side of the bed was empty. She yawned and sat up looking around, taking two minutes to sink in her reality.

She then reached for her phone to check the time. It was a few minutes passed six. She tied up her hair and quickly got off the bed. She looked around the room, no sign of Nikhil. His blanket was unfolded and his side of the bedsheet was still creased. The room had pin drop silence. She slipped her hands to the back and fastened the hook of her bra which hung loose inside her t-shirt.

She wondered if Nikhil's mother would be disappointed at her not being up and ready. It was her first morning as the daughter-in-law after all. She quickly went about folding the blankets, then dusting the bedsheets she tucked it around the bed neatly and arranged the pillows. She recollected him telling that he went for a jog everyday morning. Taking a breath of relief, she quickly walked over to the other side of the room, crouched next to the air bag and brought out the pouch of toiletries and clothes for the day. She'd be ready before he came back.

She had barely got up and turned when Nikhil stepped out of the bathroom. He wore a shirt whose buttons were not done, but that wasn't the scandalous part, she had already seen him in a vest before. It was the towel wrapped around his torso. His hair was wet, he was running his fingers through them. He looked at her casually at first and smiled, a few seconds later— the realization dawned and then his eyes got wide. He looked at her like a deer caught in headlights. Sharanya's gaze had moved down before her brain could send out the message to abort.

Flustered, Nikhil's hands reached to the placket of his shirt, covering up the front portion and then seconds later, his hands reached to hold the edge of the towel firmly instead. "Sorry, I have a habit...." He mumbled as she looked aside. "I mean, I prefer wearing the trousers..."

It took Sharanya a lot of effort to not let a smile play on her lips at his failing attempt to explain.

"It's okay, I didn't know you were here, thought you were out for a jog. I was going to bath anyway." She said, slowly moving to the bathroom.

"Okay," He said walking to the other side of the room, cautiously. His grip on the towel tight. Realizing something, he turned and exclaimed, "It's wet."

"Huh?" Sharanya kept herself from turning around. Unconsciously, her thoughts went to his wet hair. She had to admit, he looked nice with wet hair.

"I mean, the bathroom is wet."

Sharanya's gaze peeped into the ajar door. Her first thought was—How on earth did he manage to get the water out of the showering area? The next was, how would she wear her saree?

"Uh, that's okay, but, uh, I need to wear the saree. I can't possibly change in..."

Even before she could complete, he answered, "I will be out of the room once I am ready."

"Okay," she said and quickly walked over to the bed and kept the saree on its edge, without raising her gaze up.

She took a sigh of relief once she was inside the bathroom and had locked it securely. She then smiled. Nikhil defined the word introvert. She looked at the floor and then at the mirror that was fogged and sighed. While brushing her teeth, she opened the cabinets one by one to see what was in each. One entire was empty and clean. She assumed it was for her. The one next to it had Nikhil's stuff she assumed. The other had a set of spare things like— towels, soaps and toothbrushes. The house was so well maintained.